The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Breeches for Small-waisted Guy (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/breeches-small-waisted-guy-189065/)

ibobenn 05-07-2013 05:09 PM

Breeches for Small-waisted Guy

So I am purchasing my first horse a week from today if he passes the vet check. I currently have one pair of breeches, but they are not of the highest quality nor do they fit me very well. I really just got them because the in-seam on men's jeans scratches leather pretty easily and I didn't want my new saddle getting messed up. So now I plan to go from riding english one or two days a week (and western one or two days) to riding english four or five days a week (hopefully), and I need properly fitting breeches so that I am comfortable. The problem is I am a 5'9 guy and have a 25" waist. There are not size 25 men's breeches. Do I buy children's? Do I buy women's? Do I try to contact a manufacturer (like Tuffrider) and get size 26 men's breeches? I really have no qualms about wearing children's or women's breeches as long as they fit me properly and are comfortable for a guy. Are there any differences between children's, women's, and men's breeches? I would really appreciate help on this. Thanks.

freia 05-07-2013 05:19 PM

I assume men's breeches are much like women's, in that each manufacturer is completely different.

I'm a woman. I wear women's breeches. Here's what I've found. Most of the women's breeches have really tight thighs and knees, but have a huge waist. I have a horrible time finding something with a skinny enough waist for me. When I do, I can't bend my knees, because they're so tight in the legs. So I finally found a perfect fit in Dover's Riding Sport brand. I got a basic, comfy, side-zip. Absolutely perfect. They fit so great, that I then bought some really cool plaid full-seat breeches - also riding sport brand. Oh crap - tight knees and baggy waist again.

My point is that not just every brand, but every style and model within a brand fit completely differently. Is there a Dover or other tack shop near you where you can just go in and try all of them?

Breeches are my nightmare... For summertime, I really like riding tights. They're really stretchy, so I can get the waist to fit and have plenty of stretch in the legs to stay comfy. Tights might be more revealing than what most guys are comfortable with though?

I think the only difference between men's and women's breeches is the guys' tend to have a little more room in the front. but then again, my women's ones always have lots of extra room there too. And I think the women's tend to have shorter inseams.

ibobenn 05-07-2013 05:31 PM

I have a Dover about 1/2 hour away. -Hopefully- I'll be running over there sometime next week to get a couple things. I'll check out the ladies breeches and ignore the looks I get. :D

VelvetsAB 05-07-2013 07:05 PM

Just like mens jeans versus womens jeans, they cut of them will be different. Mens breeches have pockets on the bum, where womens don't.

If I was to wear a pair of mens pants, they wouldn't fit me 'right'. Just like womens breeches probably won't you right. You would most likely be better off getting a size up, and wear a belt.

jinxremoving 05-07-2013 10:56 PM

I'm 5'8 with a 28 waist in non-rider jeans... but I wear size 32 in TuffRider Pro breeches. I would bet that a size 28 would fit you nicely and they do make them that small! I originally had a size 30 but they were a tad bit too tight... not what a guy wants. :)

NaeNae87 05-08-2013 12:33 AM

Hey OP,

I would get breeches that fit you everywhere lese and then take them to a tailor or seamstress to get the waist taken in. That way your breeches will fit, look good and most importantly, be comfortable.