The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Friesian cross in jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/friesian-cross-jumping-189121/)

Jalter 05-07-2013 05:37 PM

Friesian cross in jumping

I know that Friesians do not have the conformation to jump competitively, but what about half Friesians? They seem to be increasing in popularity, and I am curious of your opinions of the crosses for jumping.

What breed do you think complements Friesians best for a jumping prospect? Warmbloods, Thoroughbreds, Arabians, anything :P

Allison Finch 05-07-2013 05:56 PM

I've never seen a Fresian or Fresian cross at the upper levels of either jumping or eventing. For the medium and lower levels....why not?

alexischristina 05-07-2013 07:24 PM

I've known a couple in my area and all of them have seemed... awkward. Like they maintain that big Friesan step. I personally wouldn't want to jump one, because it looks like a disaster waiting to happen from an outsiders perspective, but I've been told they make for a smooth ride at the lower levels. I haven't seen any compete higher than 2'6 though, and while I'm sure they COULD I'm not sure they could do it and be super competitive.

albertaeventer 05-09-2013 01:45 PM

I know a few crosses, one crossed with TB and another with warmblood. They are both fairly decent horses, considering I've seen a LOT of conformational disasters with crosses like that:P And they both can jump in the 3'-3'6" range, with presentable jumping style. They are definitely not totally horrifying, nor are they any sort of outstanding example of a jumper, but they get around fine. It really depends on the individual horse though, what they'd be suitable for. Some will be able to jump, and some won't.

Friesians are totally different types of horses compared to the horses you listed. Which is why there are so many franken-horse crosses out there. When you breed similar types, you are more likely to get something that resembles the dam and sire. When you breed 2 totally different types, there is a tiny chance you might get something half decently put together, but more than likely you're going to get a total mish mash of parts that don't really go together, for example a friesian high stepping front end with an arab's hind end, and then the height would be a crapshoot, you might end up with a hony. Or get that big friesian body on spindly TB legs. I've seen that too, it's not pretty:P

Not sure if you are just wondering in general or because you are looking for yourself, but I wouldn't recommend breeding a cross like that, there's just too many variables and it is a total crapshoot. You'd be better off doing a lot of horse shopping for that one great looking cross already on the market that is built for what you want to do.

CanterOn14 06-09-2013 01:47 PM

Take a look on YouTube for this account, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIS...R1hR9V3STjqyHg , She has a Frisian and he jumps... If you can contact her you can ask her questions.

gigem88 06-09-2013 06:01 PM

I have a friend that has a Friesian/Morgan cross that does eventing. He jumps pretty darn high!

countercanter 06-18-2013 05:56 PM

We have a fresian cross mare at home that does the jumpers. She is still young so I am not sure how competitive she will be, but she absolutely loves it.

My2Geldings 07-08-2013 10:28 PM

friesen jumping - YouTube

its lbs not miles 07-23-2013 11:32 PM

If you look around you can find a great many Friesian crosses that do quite well jumping, even competing successfully in cross country. Look at some of the Friesian Sporthorses. While I don't jump any more and haven't in years my current older Friesian/Saddlebred mare (she's all of 6 years old now) was never jumped over anything or even witnessed another horse jumping, but when she was 4 she just decided one day that the 44" fence that divided the pasture was low enough for her to jump so she would be in whatever pasture she wanted whenever she wanted and had no problem clearing the 44" at will. She would jump the fence even when the gate was open just a couple of feet away. Had to run a line at about 52" so that now she respects the fence (at least until she thinks she can clear 52" and does that, but hopefully not)