The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   project horse progress! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/project-horse-progress-189249/)

LouieThePalomino 05-07-2013 09:59 PM

project horse progress!

4 Attachment(s)
Well today I got some pics of him after we were done with lessons. Today we worked on getting him to use and push with his hindquarters.

About him: His name is Copper, he was professionally trained but has gotten away with jigging and other small habits and hasnt been ridden in awhile. I dont know his age or breed ( anyone have an idea of what breed he looks like?) Hes also on the thin side because of little exorcize and hes parrot mouthed.
Attachment 180089

Attachment 180097

Attachment 180105

Attachment 180113

LouieThePalomino 05-07-2013 10:02 PM

Sorry some of the pics are sideways, I dont know how to fix them.
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 05-07-2013 10:21 PM

He has such a pretty face!

Wild Heart 05-08-2013 01:19 AM

Handsome boy! :)
Wish you the best of luck with him.

LouieThePalomino 05-08-2013 11:40 AM

LouieThePalomino 05-08-2013 11:58 AM

This saturday I will be using him to back up trail rides and maybe take him for a ride around the ranch at the end of the day with the other volunteers, I'll try to take a video and some more pictures. His trot is really smooth too.

Northernstar 05-08-2013 07:58 PM

He's a handsome boy!!! Just a little word about that bit - just the tiniest amount of pressure on the rein will cause more pressure in his sensitive mouth than you might know - if you must use a bit at all, (I ride 100% bitless), I would suggest a D-ring snaffle which causes the least pressure. Actually, I shouldn't be shy to say it, but truly, most bits are tools that cause pain. I used to trail ride all the time in our State Parks, and never knew this! Many horse people would protest at such a statement, but it's indeed true through scientific study. I've found it delightful that by using simple rope reins clipped to my horse's halter works wonderfully, and I'm sure they appreciate the chance to prove they can obey commands without the bit. Best of luck with him! :)

LouieThePalomino 05-08-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 2463513)
He's a handsome boy!!! Just a little word about that bit - just the tiniest amount of pressure on the rein will cause more pressure in his sensitive mouth than you might know - if you must use a bit at all, (I ride 100% bitless), I would suggest a D-ring snaffle which causes the least pressure. Actually, I shouldn't be shy to say it, but truly, most bits are tools that cause pain. I used to trail ride all the time in our State Parks, and never knew this! Many horse people would protest at such a statement, but it's indeed true through scientific study. I've found it delightful that by using simple rope reins clipped to my horse's halter works wonderfully, and I'm sure they appreciate the chance to prove they can obey commands without the bit. Best of luck with him! :)

thank you :)
Yes, ive heard everything about the tom thumb, and I dont keep contact in his mouth, he neckreins well enough so I dont really have to pull in his mouth. But its also needed because he is barn and buddy sour so I have to sometimes redirect him with the bit. Ill ask about changing it to a Snaffle, but eventually I want to be able to ride him with just a rope around his neck.
Posted via Mobile Device

FGRanch 05-09-2013 12:01 AM

He looks to have a super kind eye and a great face. I wish you the best of luck with him. Can't wait to see him at a decent weight.

LouieThePalomino 05-09-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FGRanch (Post 2465537)
He looks to have a super kind eye and a great face. I wish you the best of luck with him. Can't wait to see him at a decent weight.

Thank you :)
And I will keep you guys updated weekly.