The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   who is new to horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/who-new-horses-189465/)

TBforever 05-08-2013 08:32 AM

who is new to horses

just wondering who is new to horses, how long you been riding, and what do you want to pursue with horses

I been riding 6 months

and I want to pursue to have a good bond with a horse:)

anyone else?

kitten_Val 05-08-2013 09:54 AM

Could you define "new", please? :D

Oldhorselady 05-08-2013 11:07 AM

What a wonderful idea to have made this thread!! I wish I would have had it when I was new to horses....but really, are we ever NOT new?

oliveoats 05-08-2013 11:10 AM

I would consider myself new. I rode English and jumped for a few years, but then took a ten year break. I just got back into the game a year ago when I got a halter broke gelding and worked with a trainer to start him under saddle. I've owned him 14 months and the's been under saddle for 10. Even after over a year of owning him and almost a year of riding him, I still learn something new every day :)

My goals are to mold him into a horse that can do anything and to become a rider who is willing to dabble in any discipline I'm able to.

Ian McDonald 05-08-2013 01:15 PM

I've got 15 years in so far, and am just beginning to feel like I'm learning the real stuff. Just beginning to scratch the tip of the iceberg. To understand horses is to understand oneself and to also understand life. I hope that there's never a time where I don't feel like I'm new to this.

Sounds like I'm in good company here. :mrgreen:

Chessie 05-08-2013 02:05 PM

I certainly feel new.

I've had a handful of years of experience riding and caring for horses, but this week I'm sending back the paperwork for my mustang, and she'll officially be mine. The real fun starts when we get to DC and I can work with her daily instead of her trainer.

I just went out today and bought my basic grooming supplies and a halter and lead rope. :)

Now I'm in the process of trying to figure out saddles.

My goal for this upcoming year is to establish a good bond and discipline on the ground with my horse. I'm going to be doing a lot of groundwork. My long term goal is to have a steady, very easy-going trail horse. I have no desire to do anything fancier than that. Mostly I want to get her to have great manners and a steady head.

dlady 05-08-2013 03:50 PM

I'm new to horses. Last year, at the very young age of 50, I decided I wanted to ride horses. I've always been fasinated with them, but never tried to ride until last summer. My brother has a couple of horses that I always spend time with every time I went there to visit. I figured since he wasn't trying to do anything with this horse, I might as well try riding it. I didn't know how to saddle or bridle it, so i got my brother to do it for me. The horse is kinda green so he rode it 1st, then my friend led me around for awhile until i felt comfortable enough to take the reigns.

That ride didn't go to well. I was bouncing around from side to side. My friend took a couple of pictures of me on that horse, and man what a sight, i was leaning to 1 side.

After that I did a lot of reading and started taking riding lessons. I mainly want to do some trail riding or riding the 316 acres across the road in front of my house. LOL, now i saddle my own horse (don't own 1 yet), bridle and groom it. I'm not quite ready to own, and will probably have a hard time finding a horse and seller that's willing to meet my expectations. If I can't meet with the seller a few times and ride it a few times to make sure I can handle it, then your horse just isn't for me. Most people say I will have a hard time finding a horse.

My fantasy is to be able to ride a horse to the big lake out in the woods and do some bass fishing, or grab my 243 during deer season, ride out in the woods, get me a nice buck and walk the horse back with my prize buck on it's back.

hmmmm, me and my big dreams.

LouieThePalomino 05-08-2013 06:00 PM

I consider myself new. Ive been around horses my whole life (im 16) and have ridden off and on unill I started volunteering at a horse ranch every Saturday and Sunday. I now get lessons on Tuesdays and have been riding consistantly for a year and a half now. Im also learning some about training horses and there are so many things to learn I wish I could write it all down! But now that I have a horse I plan on being there most of the summer to gain more expirience :)

I dream of someday becoming an equine vet or competing and having my own ranch and cattle. But right now my goal is to be able to control my horse properly and get the proper leg position and get him up to weight!
Posted via Mobile Device

PinkStella 05-09-2013 09:37 AM

I've been riding for about a year. Before last April, the only time I'd been on a horse was when I was 10 at summer camp. I figure 36 was the perfect age to start something new!

I'd love to have a horse of my own one day, but right now I'm happy with my lease and all the learning I'm doing. I did my first show a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

TBforever 05-09-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 2459505)
Could you define "new", please? :D

new in any definition, to beginner riders, to people new to a certain disapline