The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   lift your head up please! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/lift-your-head-up-please-18953/)

Jubilee Rose 12-07-2008 07:09 PM

lift your head up please!

Yesterday when I was riding Jubilee she was being a complete dork and sticking her head way down. I was riding outside and it was snowing, but just lightly. I know that when a horse puts its head way down or way up its a sure sign of disrespect because they are evading contact. I don't know why she was doing this though. I had not ridden for a week and I know she was a bit stiff, but I did lunge her first and she was really good for that considering she was going through snow. But in the saddle, she would stretch her neck way far down and she was SO hard on the mouth. Whenever I'd try to get her to stop, I felt like I was pulling forever on her mouth and felt so bad. One thing I felt did help with this, was applying more leg and lifting my inside rein to lift her head up. This did help and whenever she did it, I made sure to praise her for it. She hasn't been this dorky in a while. Was she just annoyed at being ridden? It did start to light hail at the end, so I stopped riding. But why was she acting like this? And how can I fix it? Thanks guys.

wordstoasong 12-07-2008 07:30 PM

You say you like you are pulling forever on her mouth? Are you pulling in general to get her head up?

One thing I find doing is "see-sawing" the bit, left and right gripping on the reins for the effect, should soften her mouth. I try it with Murray (and other horses I ride) and it works, not perfect, but it does stop that "pulling forever" feeling. Maybe it will help you. Good luck. =]

Spyder 12-07-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordstoasong (Post 206392)

One thing I find doing is "see-sawing" the bit, left and right gripping on the reins for the effect, should soften her mouth. I try it with Murray (and other horses I ride) and it works, not perfect, but it does stop that "pulling forever" feeling. Maybe it will help you. Good luck. =]

I would suggest you do not see saw on the bit. This is a good way to get the horse deadened to the bit.

What you can do is cross the reins in front of you so you form a bridge right about where her withers are and when she goes to pull the bridge will come against her neck so she ends up pulling against herself. They usually stop when this happens.

SonnyWimps 12-07-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordstoasong (Post 206392)
You say you like you are pulling forever on her mouth? Are you pulling in general to get her head up?

NEVER EVER see-saw a horse's! It does soooo much harm (and does no good)...makes them dislike the bit, hurt their mouth, and can even chip teeth. It it 100% cruel.

Spyder has a good suggestion which sounds like it would work. But since I want my horse to keep his head low I won't give any suggestions other than I defiantely agree with Spyder's idea

HorsesAreForever 12-07-2008 08:24 PM

I agree with sonny and spyder!! NEVER see saw on horses mouth!!!!

SonnyWimps 12-07-2008 08:27 PM

Jubilee, was she stiff while riding or lunging?
COuld it be that her back was really stiff and she was reaching down to stretch and not be rude and pushy?

Hoofprints in the Sand 12-07-2008 08:45 PM

Sandie's been doing that to me lately, since she's still learning to accept the bit...my trainer told me to ALWAYS ask her to raise her head with leg pressure first, but then use your hands as a second aide...but I like Spyder's idea about crossing the reins...I'm going to try it the next time Sandie does that to me so that we're not just getting into a tug of war that I know she'll win! ;-)

PS -- Sonny, VERY cute Christmas pic with the matching Santa hats!! :-)

Connemara93 12-07-2008 08:51 PM

My horse does this sometimes - she just completely leans against the contact, and puts her head down really low. The main thing to remember is DON'T let her pull the reins from your hands, in my case anyway, she does it to try and evade the contact and get more rein for herself.

When my horse does this I just push her on with my leg, and half halt the reins to bring her head back in. I find this helps me a lot, because you will find that as they get more impulsion, they automatically tend to lift their heads up.

I wouldn't know exactly why she was doing this to you, but I would guess that she just wasn't in the mood for work - the conditions weren't great, and she'd had a week long break, so she probably just couldn't be bothered to work properly.

Hope that helps a bit.

wordstoasong 12-07-2008 09:16 PM

Spyder, Sonnywhimps and horsesareforever: I should have made myself more clear on my opinion/advice. Thank you for the info Spyder, on it being deaden a horse to the bit. I will keep this in mind.

What I should have explained in my opinion, was that I use this method to get my horses' head up. Once up, I leave it at that and carry on. I don't torture my horses' by this method at all.

Jubilee Rose: You have many opinions on here so far, many that are great to try out on your horse. Don't take my opinion to heart. Good luck with her. =]

SonnyWimps 12-07-2008 09:22 PM

wordstoasong: there is NO good explination to "saw" the horse's mouth. Whether it's slight or extremely hard it still is really damaging to the horse's mouth. I would NEVER do that even in the slightest bit to my horse or any horse's mouth. Sawing is NEVER right

Leg pressure might get her head up, good idea Hoofprint!! And thanks! He hated that hat lol