The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Hay prices in Fresno and North bay areas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/hay-prices-fresno-north-bay-areas-189785/)

ApolloRider 05-08-2013 06:29 PM

Hay prices in Fresno and North bay areas?

Hey,

I'm still waiting word for whether or not I will be relocation to CA.
I feed my horse local grass, from WA.

I pay 9 dollars a bale, for 55lb bales.

I'm curious as to what the prices are like in these areas.
I'm also thinking about just growing my own grass and having it cute and baled for me, or having a family member do it.

What are your thought?

Charley horse 05-08-2013 06:44 PM

Um, I live just outside of Fresno and its 20.00 dollars for a bale of grass hay...It wont be in season for long
Reg alfalfa is 14.95 a bale for the good bales..
11.48 for a bag of 50lb cubes.
12.36 for 50lb bag of rice bran.

I am spending 120-160 a month for my guys groceries/Just for one horse.

ApolloRider 05-08-2013 06:54 PM

Oh wow.
Do you happen to know how much the bales weigh, on average?
I know it's a pretty big farming area there, I just don't know exactly what the primary crops are. Is it possible to grow there?

We have tons of local grass growers here so the prices are fairly competitive.

Charley horse 05-08-2013 06:59 PM

I am sorry I dont know how much the bales weigh??? I couldnt even guess...I'll ask a friend if she knows that buys from the same place I do and get back to you on that..I think the primary crops are alfalfa, Bermuda, and oat...Big time farming areas here :)) (Not bermuda..Reg grass hay) And orchard grass..

Charley horse 05-08-2013 07:00 PM

Oh yea you can grow here - I do know of a friend of a friend that grows his own oat hay here and sells...

ApolloRider 05-08-2013 07:05 PM

Great!

The properties I've been looking at are all 10 - 40 acres.
My agent knows I want flat acreage so hopefully I will find a gem. Then I'd have learn what the heck I'm doing, or just have my cousin do it and pay him...

We just need to figure out what the heck is going on with the relocation....
We were supposed to know last Friday... I hate having to wait.
Grrr

Charley horse 05-08-2013 07:11 PM

Good luck to you!! This is a nice area but you may hate the hot summers lol!
I think just outside of Fresno in the Clovis area is best..(Its the nicer community)
I hardly ever make it to Fresno unless shopping in that area. The bay area is more expensive to live but is nice as well and the summers are not as hot there.

ApolloRider 05-08-2013 07:24 PM

Yeah we are looking at a few in Clovis, and some properties further North, I forget the city names, but they are bordering some forest. Whatever the forest is below Yosemite.

I do LOVE north bay. If we end up relocated there we may have to buy property and build. I haven't found a single place I've liked in our price range. :(

I'm used to the heat, the husband however has lived in WA. His whole life... He will be miserable during the summer. Poor thing. Haha.

waresbear 05-08-2013 07:26 PM

Wow, that is pricey for a bale of hay! 50 - 60 lb bales are $4 right now, farmers are getting it out of their barns to make rooms for this years hay. Even though we share a coastline and a faultline (BC here), glad we don't share hay prices!

ApolloRider 05-08-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2463769)
Wow, that is pricey for a bale of hay! 50 - 60 lb bales are $4 right now, farmers are getting it out of their barns to make rooms for this years hay. Even though we share a coastline and a faultline (BC here), glad we don't share hay prices!

The one thing that's cheaper up there. :P