The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Oldenburg mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/oldenburg-mare-189801/)

Bluechi 05-08-2013 06:59 PM

Oldenburg mare

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I have been offered this Oldenburg mare, 7 years old. Would like some opinions on her (conformation and otherwise). She has a head bobbing issue, and has been a handful while she was moved around from home to home, but otherwise sounds like a dream horse. She trots/canters near the end of the video, if you want to fast-forward. Thanks for taking a moment to look!

Tryst 05-08-2013 10:47 PM

She looks like a training project that would need quite a bit of work, but if you feel like taking that on I don't see any obvious conformation issues to hinder her from basic all around stuff. What would your plans be for her? Do you have training experience or work with a trainer? I only watched part of the video, but the horse seemed confused and the person handling her did not seem to have much experience, so not much to base an evaluation on.

What is causing the head bobbing problem? That. Can be training, but often is a sign of discomfort or pain.

Bluechi 05-08-2013 11:41 PM

I do have a great trainer, who boards at my barn. She is also going to weigh in after speaking with some people who have worked with this horse.

hemms 05-08-2013 11:56 PM

First of all, she's Sexy As Hell and I like her mind when working with this person.

I do NOT like how her back toes are dragging. I'm not sure if there's an issue higher up, as in the lumbar/sacral blah blah-blah, or if my eyes are catching something with the right hind, in particular.

That said, many horses go through life imperfect but completely fine for the activities the rider is asking of them, even better with the increase of management products.

As a rec mount, I definately like her!
Posted via Mobile Device

ponypile 05-09-2013 12:05 AM

What do you mean by head bobbing? Can you give a time in the clip where she clearly does it?

Bluechi 05-09-2013 01:43 AM

Head bobbing link. Also her under saddle!

hemms 05-09-2013 02:50 AM

Head bob = lameness
Head toss = attitude

Clearly tossing in this instance, unrelated to gait. I'm assuming her dental is up to date and the bit is one she likes. She's certainly light in the mouth.

History on this mare..?

I get the sense she's used to clear, concisive work, rather than the aimless distracted nonsense in this vid. I think she's looking for the plan and actually likes to work. I see strong dressage values to her way of going around.

Jmo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 05-09-2013 08:12 AM

Horse doesn't have an issue.. the people handling her do!

Good lord.. get on her, ask her to move.. and WORK. Same with the "lunging.."

Nice horse.. pick up contact, sit up straight, drive her forward with your legs and ASK for something. She is being far more patient with all this than some I have trained!!!

Horses deserve a lot of credit for allowing us to get on their backs and be so indecisive.. or work them from the ground the same way!

BaileyJo 05-09-2013 11:09 AM

Don't know if that is you handling her or not but if it is....definitely a pass. She needs a lot of work and she bucks. This handler is not ready for that. She's not made to lolly gag around which is what this amounts to.

Elana 05-09-2013 11:15 AM

The rider does not ask this horse to work. She throws her arms into the equation.. throws the horse into the canter and then is unable to sit up straight and keep a leg solidly on her to push her forward and into the bit. She bangs the horse in the mouth or keeps the reins too loose. The rider's leg is too short to effectively give this large horse aids.

The HORSE is really nice.