The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   royal king saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/royal-king-saddle-189833/)

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 05-08-2013 07:57 PM

royal king saddle

Hi My tack store is offering what looks to be a very nice royal king saddle for sale half price (585$) because they are making renovations and want to sell as many things as possible before they close to renovate. I know some people like Royal Kings and some people say they are very poor quality, I will be trail riding and perhaps doing some cattle sorting about 6 times a year in this saddle. How can I tell if it is a good deal or not? The leather feels nice and it looks well made but I really don't even know what to look for. The lady at the tack store is willing to let me take it home to try on my horse. Any suggestions?

SouthernTrails 05-08-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARTEMISBLOSSOM (Post 2464041)
Hi My tack store is offering what looks to be a very nice royal king saddle for sale half price (585$) because they are making renovations and want to sell as many things as possible before they close to renovate. I know some people like Royal Kings and some people say they are very poor quality, I will be trail riding and perhaps doing some cattle sorting about 6 times a year in this saddle. How can I tell if it is a good deal or not? The leather feels nice and it looks well made but I really don't even know what to look for. The lady at the tack store is willing to let me take it home to try on my horse. Any suggestions?

NO NO NO..... stay away from Royal King even if they want 100.00 for it.

I have seen way too many broken trees in that brand......

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 05-08-2013 08:16 PM

so is that the problem with them? the trees break easy?

SouthernTrails 05-08-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARTEMISBLOSSOM (Post 2464153)
so is that the problem with them? the trees break easy?

Hollow Fiberglass Trees, made in India with Water Buffalo Leather, hardware Rusts and Breaks, 5 of the same model will fit differently..... the bad list goes on and on.

waresbear 05-08-2013 08:20 PM

So Royal King are an East Indian brand? Never heard of them.

SouthernTrails 05-08-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2464185)
So Royal King are an East Indian brand? Never heard of them.

Royal King
Silver King
King Series

All the same company, 15 years ago they were made in the USA and good saddles, then they started having them made in India

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 05-08-2013 08:25 PM

ok good to know thank you

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 05-08-2013 09:47 PM

what are some reasonably priced good brand names?

SouthernTrails 05-08-2013 09:49 PM

In the price range of the one you were looking at, closest I can think of is Dakota Saddlery