The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Photo sensitivity and hay types... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/photo-sensitivity-hay-types-189849/)

Muppetgirl 05-08-2013 09:45 PM

Photo sensitivity and hay types...

My friend has a lovely palomino mare who has had an undiagnosed lumpy rash on her face since January. The rash started as a small circle and spread, it seems to have stopped but it is still there.

She has tried nearly everything on it and even the vet at one if the top equine clinics cannot diagnose it from scrapings, biopsies and bloodwork. They have put the horse on a ration balancer (Hoffmans) and she still gets her regular hay which my friend has bought from the same farmer cut from the same field for the past five years. The hay is 90% brome (sp?) and 10% alfalfa. She has also supplemented with alfalfa cubes.

The horse is very light in coloring and has a large white blaze down her face. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with hay and skin conditions? Also are there any weeds in AB that could get in the hay and cause this kind if reaction?

My friend says the hay is very clean, she has owned horses and shown successfully for the past twenty years, she hoods the horse and keeps her out of the sun as much as she can as she is unsure as to whether or not the sun has caused this, however it started in January....this is a mystery.....

deserthorsewoman 05-08-2013 10:21 PM

St. Johnsworth is the only plant I know of that causes photosensitivity. But dried, in hay, I don't know.
I would guess it's some type of allergy, for sure. It's a matter of finding what the allergen is....

Muppetgirl 05-09-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2464609)
St. Johnsworth is the only plant I know of that causes photosensitivity. But dried, in hay, I don't know.
I would guess it's some type of allergy, for sure. It's a matter of finding what the allergen is....

Yes....we are both really looking and wondering while eliminating things....:?

deserthorsewoman 05-09-2013 12:32 AM

If it's only one spot, I'm thinking it must be something other than feed. Anything stuck inside the hood maybe? A splinter, a foxtail seed....

Muppetgirl 05-09-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2465889)
If it's only one spot, I'm thinking it must be something other than feed. Anything stuck inside the hood maybe? A splinter, a foxtail seed....

No, the hood came out after the rash appeared just in case it was the winter sun creating some sensitivity.....it's lumpy under the surface of the skin.....I may try and get a photo of it next week....

deserthorsewoman 05-09-2013 02:01 AM

Insect larvae? Eeeck, I know, but possible......

Muppetgirl 05-09-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2466473)
Insect larvae? Eeeck, I know, but possible......

Believe me it's crossed my mind!!! Initially I thought MANGE!!!! ACK ACK ACK!!

deserthorsewoman 05-09-2013 11:13 AM

Im more thinking about something that deposits eggs under the skin and eventually larvae emerge........
Before I get even more strange ideas.. .pic, please.....;-)

wetrain17 05-09-2013 12:40 PM

Maybe its genetic. A friend owns a WB that she breeds in house only. All of his offspring ended up getting, what looked like, a dirty, scaby rash that spread over time. It appeared on their socks only, not blazes. It was a PAIN to clean and clear up. Took a lot of Dex to do the trick. All of these rashes started when the horses were 2-3 years of age, lasted for a season or two and then just went away, never to return again. Never really got an answer on what it was or what caused it. We thought it was caused photo sensitivity, but can't confirm that.

deserthorsewoman 05-09-2013 01:03 PM

Something like the baby warts maybe, wetrain?
Odd......