The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Safety using a rope halter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/safety-using-rope-halter-189937/)

petitepyromaniac 05-09-2013 12:38 AM

Safety using a rope halter?

I want to use a rope halter, but I'm worried about safety issues since they can't break during the case of an emergency.

I thought about using lead ropes with a quick release snap, but they don't seem to make those...

I also thought about only tying them to something like this:
Blocker Tie Ring - Hardware/Fasteners from SmartPak Equine

However, I don't want my horse to learn that if they pull hard enough they can get loose, so for that reason I DO want to only use solid halters/leads/hitching arrangements.

What would you recommend? Thanks

Breezy2011 05-09-2013 12:48 AM

If you find a good rope halter, it the horse pulls hard enough (it has to be really hard, or a lot of hard tugs) the knot you do up will come undone, it is safe. Web or nylon halters are too easy to break, last week I was trailer loading my filly for the first time and she was wearing a web halter, I clipped her to a trailer tie and she freaked out and broke the halter... so I like using rope halters in training, just IMHO

aforred 05-09-2013 12:56 AM

You could make a lead rope with a panic snap. Something like Select Stable Lead w/ looped-in Montana Snap PNW Select (Supplies Tack - Halters Leads - Leads)

All you need is a snap off an old trailer tie or cross tie. You can also make a rope with a loop at the end, push the loop through the ring of the panic snap, and pull it over the snap. If I didn't explain that well enough, let me know.

ETA: Like this, but with a panic snap. http://www.statelinetack.com/item/to...-snap/E005332/

hemms 05-09-2013 01:05 AM

I like to commit, one way or the other. For myself, it depends on the horse and whatever the issue is. Our three are ROCK solid fellows, one of them in training, one of them requiring constant respect reminding.

I've had success with blank slates by never allowing another option to enter their scope of understanding. A horse that comes with issues may need a different approach.

Even when we haul, we use rope halters and carry knives for emergencies.^shrug^ It's just our way. I like łnowing my equipment won't fail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 05-09-2013 01:44 AM

The only safe thing is to have a sharp knife on you.....
Posted via Mobile Device

6gun Kid 05-09-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2466409)
The only safe thing is to have a sharp knife on you.....
Posted via Mobile Device

every rider should have one every time they ride, lead, trailer, etc. etc.

petitepyromaniac 05-09-2013 03:40 AM

Here I was, over complicating things, when the answer was really simple: Have a knife handy. Thank you for bringing me back to reality! I feel kind of stupid now, haha.

What would I do without the Horse Forum?!

usandpets 05-09-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy2011 (Post 2466009)
If you find a good rope halter, it the horse pulls hard enough (it has to be really hard, or a lot of hard tugs) the knot you do up will come undone, it is safe. Web or nylon halters are too easy to break, last week I was trailer loading my filly for the first time and she was wearing a web halter, I clipped her to a trailer tie and she freaked out and broke the halter... so I like using rope halters in training, just IMHO

I don't know what type of rope is used in the halter you use or the type of knot you use, but every knot I've seen with a rope halter will tighten, not come undone or slip loose.

The only way I could think of it happening is with a thicker and stiff rope.

I've only had one nylon web halter break and that was the buckle breaking. I have had several lead ropes and tie downs break before the halter breaks.
Posted via Mobile Device

lightning 05-09-2013 06:59 AM

I don't have a vast amount of experience, only what I have learned with my own horse over the last year and a half.

My horse has an issue with pulling back.

Every time a horse pulls back it risks damage to the nerves in their neck and could potentially cause neurologic problems.

If a horse really pulls back hard and what ever is holding him, halter or lead rope, breaks the horse could really damage himself or a person.

Any metal parts have a chance of hurting you or the horse if something does break and it goes flying.

What worked/works with my horse is a really thick, strong rope halter and the blocker tie ring.

Saskia 05-09-2013 07:03 AM

If you have a not too strong clip on the lead it should break. I find the clips on leads break before webbing halters anyway.

I've always used rope halters, and they're much better I think. I haven't had any real safety issues with it. No more than I had with webbing ones.