The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What Clip would you do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-clip-would-you-do-18994/)

appylover31803 12-08-2008 06:39 PM

What Clip would you do?

Montana's blanket should be here this week (Hopefully)
So when it comes and I'm sure that it fits, I'm going to clip him.

It's wintertime here and I would like to keep riding him over the winter. It's going to be walk/trot work. No canter work until the spring. I also have a cooler.
I plan on riding him 3-4 days a week for 30 min -1 hour. That of course will depend on the weather this winter and how my car cooperates:wink:

Which one of these clips would you do? and Why?
Peasridge Clipper Advice - Clipping Advice - Horses

As of right now, Montana barely has a winter coat, while all the other horses are nice and fuzzy.

Spastic_Dove 12-08-2008 06:44 PM

I don't clip mine. If he doesn't have much of a winter coat, I probably wouldn't clip him. Or does he get really sweaty easily?

My thought may be the apron clip or anything above it (less hair removed). It doesn't sound like you are working him too hard (just walk trot) and he doesn't really have a coat as it is. This would just remove where they get the most sweat.

I still think you should just get a nice cooler to take care of any of the sweat.
But that's just me. Take it as you please =)

appylover31803 12-08-2008 07:01 PM

I already have a cooler :)
He does have a winter coat, it's just not as thick as everyone else. He has maybe an inch of coat, while the others have like 2+ inches (or so it seems)

Thanks for your input Spastic!

BeauReba 12-08-2008 07:06 PM

I would also go for the apron clip. It's just enough to keep the horse dry where he'll probably sweat the most.

appylover31803 12-08-2008 07:19 PM

ok, thanks!

On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being the easiest, 10 being really difficult)
How hard is the apron clip to do?

I've worked with clippers (on horses, dogs, and humans) but have never clipped fur off horse. I've done bridle paths, fetlocks, whiskers.

PoptartShop 12-08-2008 07:28 PM

I also like the Apron clip the most- looks good, & is not too much or too little. :D

Spastic_Dove 12-08-2008 08:08 PM

I would say maybe a four?
I would have someone experienced there with you the first time.
Here is an except from one of the websites I looked up with some tips

"
Where do I start?
If you follow these steps you shouldn't have any problems:
  • First of all you need to purchase a good quality pair of clippers. There are many different types available depending on the job you need them for.
  • Give your horse a bath if he is particularly dirty, if this is not necessary make sure he is groomed thoroughly, getting rid of any dirt and sweat that might clog up the clippers.
  • Have a rug ready to put on your horse as you clip him, he will soon notice the difference!
  • Have someone on hand to hold your horse and comfort him if he becomes agitated.
  • Using chalk to outline the area you are going to clip, particularly if you have not clipped a horse before.
  • While clipping the body, the clippers must run flat over the coat, don’t use too much pressure otherwise you will create lines known as ‘tram-lines’. On the other hand, when clipping the legs and face you will need to clip against the hair as it is shorter than the rest of the hair on the horse’s body.
  • It is probably best to start from the top of the neck and head and then work your way along the rest of the body. You will probably end up creating your own method of clipping which better suits both you and your horse, creating the least amount of stress possible.
  • Be firm, but gentle when working around the head. It is probably best to use a pair of finishing trimmers (they make less noise).
  • When you have finished, make sure that your horse is rugged up according to what sort of clip you have given him, apply stable bandages if necessary and give him a well deserved treat!
  • If all else fails, get an expert to do it for you. It won’t cost you very much and it could cut out a lot of stress for both you and your horse."

Source:: Clipping your horse

There are also plenty of different websites with tips for different types of body clips.

appylover31803 12-08-2008 10:18 PM

Thanks so much spastic! I really apprecaite it!

I'm definitely going to have someone there, as well as a flake or 2 of hay for him to munch on.

I have a pair of good clippers, they're practically new. used a few times. I'm going to have to pick up some spray lubrication as the little bottle I have is, well, kind of broken LOL

I've been reading up on clipping for a while now, but now that's its almost time, I just wanted some advice.

mayfieldk 12-09-2008 01:10 AM

Also--use a #10 blade, and have a spare on hand--a dull blade will leave a lot of lines!

:D

appylover31803 12-09-2008 01:26 AM

I have a 10 blade... had to double check though.

I'll pick up another blade tomorrow. Hopefully the tack store has it.