The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Storing Tall Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/storing-tall-boots-189953/)

SullysRider 05-08-2013 11:46 PM

Storing Tall Boots

My Der-Dau's came in today, but I'm honestly not sure how to properly store them. Before I absolutely abused my tall boots and would just throw them in the closet, but the leather and everything about my new boots is great quality and I would like to keep it that way. So how do you store your tall boots and keep them nice?
Posted via Mobile Device

PinkStella 05-09-2013 09:33 AM

I got a new pair of Volants for my birthday this year. After I use them, I clean them, but the boots trees in them, put them in my boot bag, and hang the bag. I don't know if this is "proper" or not, but it seems to do the trick. My old boots just got shoved in the tack trunk, so I'd say this is an improvement.

jinxremoving 05-10-2013 05:45 PM

I have a pair of TredStep Donatello tall boots that I've been wearing at least three times a week for the last year. If I showed you them right now, you would think they are maybe a month old... the condition is that good! Maybe it's the boot itself or maybe it's my OCD cleaning regiment that I do with them after every ride:

1. Use a stiff brush to get any caked mud off.
2. Clean the boots with a wet sponge to get the dirt off.
3. Fiebings Saddle Soap from top to bottom.
4. Clean the boots with a wet sponge to get the saddle soap off.
5. Oakwood leather conditioner - once a week.

The total time from start to finish is about 15 minutes combined but given the condition of my boots a year later I'm not about to stop. After I've cleaned them, I then use boot trees to keep them upright and to prevent the development of creases. There's a lot of opinions about how to clean a boot but I think most people will agree that you need boot trees.

GamingGrrl 05-10-2013 11:31 PM

I have cheap boots, but I like to keep them looking nice. I use crumbled up balls of news paper to stuff them and help them stand up and keep their shape with no creases. It's cheap and has worked really well.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsea 05-15-2013 05:31 PM

I have Ariat Challenge II's that I've had for about 5 years and still look barely used! I only wear them to shows though but after every ride I wipe them down with a wet sponge/ rag then use a conditioner. I kept the box they came in and store them lying flat, so they have no creases!