The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   First Injectable Treatment for Laminitis Successful (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/first-injectable-treatment-laminitis-successful-190065/)

poppy1356 05-09-2013 07:07 AM

First Injectable Treatment for Laminitis Successful

So what does everyone think of this new possible cure?

Equine Chronicle First Injectable Treatment for Laminitis Successful in Stopping the Disease in 80% of Horses in Clinical Trials, More Cases Needed

Iseul 05-09-2013 07:46 AM

Huh..if I had a horse that couldn't be ridden due to it I'd probably send him/her down to have it tested on.

I have a feeling that once they finish and release it to vet clinics/hospitals that it'll cost an arm and a leg.

But, the theory makes sense. Stop the inflammation, stop the tearing of the laminae between wall and coffin bone.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 05-09-2013 07:54 AM

If they had the best interest of the horse in mind they would make it affordable at least. But drug companies don't usually aim for that. Although the vet needing to do it would probably be the most expensive part. I would say right now would be the best time to try it since they are actively looking for participants.

But a cure with no known side effects as of yet? Curious to see if that stays true.

greentree 05-09-2013 07:59 AM

How interesting! It sounds like they are fairly close to market,really. One of the reasons laminitis is so fearful is that there is no real treatment, just band aids that sometimes help. Having this will relieve a BIT of stress from us, anyway.

Remember the days before colic surgery?

Thanks for posting that!

Nancy

walkinthewalk 05-09-2013 08:39 AM

Those of us with horses that have already foundered will be asking our vets "take" on this.

It sounds too good to be true but I hope not.

I agree it also sounds very expensive but I hope not.

poppy1356 05-09-2013 08:44 AM

My question is if this really does stop the inflammation of laminitis why did it only work on 80% and what happened to/with the other 20%? Were they to far gone, so to speak, for it to work? Did it just do nothing? They are claiming no ill side effects so I'm wondering what happened with that other 20% that it didn't work for and why not?

jaydee 05-09-2013 08:59 AM

Thanks for sharing
A huge amount of money is being pumped into laminitis research so hopefully this is going to be a positive
I cant see what the active ingredient is but the fact that its already FDA approved for humans is a good sign
If its as effective as it sounds then might work out cheaper in the long term and the costs usually come down anyway over time