The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   The future NFR-qualifier just had his first ride!! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/future-nfr-qualifier-just-had-his-190081/)

beau159 05-09-2013 09:24 AM

The future NFR-qualifier just had his first ride!!

LOL, well, maybe not the NFR, but a girl can dream, right? :wink:

CK Grey Meatball, 2011 AQHA gelding
Ck Grey Meatball Quarter Horse

I am a very proud mamma to say that Shotgun (aka Baby) had his very first ride last night!! I wasn't on him for more than 10 minutes, and we didn't go any faster than a walk, but he was calm and relaxed!!! (One could say, a tad bit lazy, but I'd rather have that than the alternative option!) I've had him since he was 6 months old, so I've been anxiously waiting for this day!

I made my husband come out with me, so if I had trouble getting Shotgun move his feet to walk, he could at least follow him around. Which did turn out to be useful.

I didn't have hubby take any pictures, because I was more concerned with HIM watching where was standing at all times, just in case Shotgun would decide to do something, but maybe later I'll get some photos.

But for now, you'll have to settle with these. :D

This was last week Wednesday, the first time I cinched up the saddle. He wasn't too heartbroken about it.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ps1cc326c7.jpg

But he did do something really "dramatic" yesterday when I saddled him up. He kinda grunted and swished his tail when I (on purpose) cinched him up kinda jerky (I want him to get used to these things, even though I will normally cinch my horses up nice and smooth) and he acted like "OMG I can't possibly stand with this tight saddle" and started to try to lay down! Silly pants...... I stopped him from doing that, and then he let out a big *sigh*. He didn't seem to be doing it to be naughty or mean or anything, so I honestly thought it was quite funny.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psd50d3bf8.jpg

Annanoel 05-09-2013 09:47 AM

Yay beau! :happydance:

SO happy for you, I know how exciting the first ride/s can be! That's how it's been with my boy Walker. He is one handsome boy. I think he'll grow into himself very nicely. Can't wait to see more of you two! Walker still does that to this day when I cinch him. We've been working on it, I get tail swishes, grunts and sometimes he backs. Thinking the trainer wasn't to nice when cinching up...

Anyways, congrats again! I'd love to see more pictures! Glad he stood fine for you to. That's always a plus and always makes me want to get right back on. :wink:

beau159 05-09-2013 09:54 AM

Thanks!

Yea, the one nice thing I noticed climbing on him for the first time, is that his body felt like a HORSE. You know how some 2-yr-olds can feel like you are sitting on nothing but a 2x4? Nope, not this guy. He's already close to 14.3 hands (and he's a little over-weight in his belly, but he'll grow out of that as he grows in height) so he'll grow into a monster most likely. But it was nice for him to have some substance to him!

Honeysuga 05-09-2013 11:43 AM

Congrats! Im glad you had a great first ride! He sounds like a smart little fella and i hope the rest of his training goes just as smoothly.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 05-09-2013 12:27 PM

Me too! ^^^

He reminds me a lot of a filly I had some years back, who was the same in that: Nothing scared her, she was friendly and sweet, she always wanted to be around you, and she was SO easy to train to ride. Never did buck! I hope Shotgun takes the same path as she did, as far as "easy".

Annanoel 05-09-2013 12:38 PM

Sounds just like my boy, everyone thinks he's 5+ and when I tell them he JUST turned three I always get the :shock:.

Your guy is going to be gorgeous and tall at that I think. That's the way I like them! Are you sending him off to training soon or taking it easy yourself?

beau159 05-09-2013 12:48 PM

I had originally planned to send him to a trainer in July to start him for me. But now my husband and I are building a house .... and I just didn't want to have to swing the $800 a month it was going to cost me.

And since Shotgun was so easy-going to start with, I kinda figured, well I suppose I could just do it myself.

So that's what I'm doing!!

Plus, if he actually makes a good barrel horse, I can proudly say that I have owned him since he was 6 months old and did everything myself. :-)

beau159 05-12-2013 10:02 AM

Ride #2 was Friday morning. He still did well, but still really didn't understand that me bumping him with my legs meant walk forward!!

Ride #3 was last night, and he was doing MUCH better about going forward! Still only walked, but that's okay. We've gotta get the "go forward" down pat at the walk, before we can go faster.

So far so good! Won't be able to get back on him until Tuesday night, so hopefully he absorbs knowledge by then.

beau159 05-17-2013 10:07 AM

Provided it isn't raining tonight, we'll be doing ride #5 out in his pasture! I'm hoping more open area (not a boring corral) will encourage his "go forward" button to work better! The lady I board with is going to ride with me on one of her calm guys, for moral support for Shotgun.

He was a good boy again two nights ago, but that GO button was sticky again.

CatrinaB87 05-17-2013 02:09 PM

He's too cute!! Is the laying down thing just because it was a new experience? my SO's horse sometimes gets the shaky legs and looks like he wants to collapse on himself, and the girth isn't even snug yet!