The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   Tommy Turvey (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/tommy-turvey-190169/)

Oldhorselady 05-09-2013 12:28 PM

Tommy Turvey

I went to observe a Tommy Turvey clinic recently. It was a smaller type clinic held at a private ranch and had about ten participating people with their horses.

I can appreciate the knowlege he has as part of his business as a 'trick trainer'. That is what he is paid to do, so we have horses who make these commercials and movies that amaze us.

My problem is taking this knowlege and using it in a clinic with people who are already bringing their horses to these clinics because they are having problems with them. In other words.....why are we teaching 'how to lay down your horse' when some of these people can barely even lead their horses confidently? As a trainer, he should know how dangerous it is to teach these horses these tricks. So to give a shortened versioin to the general public in a few short steps, I think, is very dangerous! You have to be careful what you say to people. They don't hear about how much preparation needs to be done...they just see the end result of Tommy laying down their horse...so they then believe that their horse is now trained to do this. Plus, saying things like he trains some of these tricks in their stalls and does the first ride of his mustang in a stall is insane. People are now going to go home and ride/train their horses in their stalls.

Is it just me being too sensitive and skeptical? Maybe I just see the danger, when there really isn't any????

I went to this clinic to support a friend of mine who was participating. To me, I can respect what he does as his profession, but not to try and teach to the general public. I also did NOT care for his or his wife's attitude. I don't care how famous he is. Just my opinion.

gypsygirl 05-09-2013 01:07 PM

I saw him beat a horse with s dressage whip in front of hundreds of people at horse fair one year. It didn't want to lay down and he was whacking it really hard.people were boo ing. I can't say I was impressed!
Posted via Mobile Device

JaphyJaphy 05-09-2013 01:12 PM

Was the event advertised as a trick training clinic, or a problem solving clinic?

Oldhorselady 05-09-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaphyJaphy (Post 2469409)
Was the event advertised as a trick training clinic, or a problem solving clinic?

The advertisement stated, quote:

"Horsemanship Clinic"
"Inspirational and Educational"
"Gain Control, Re-Educate Yourself and Get Confidence"

My friend did say he was rude the first day to his wife during the presentation.

I went the second day, where his wife insulted and embarassed me.

I was not there the third day. I really didn't have the desire to.

My two girlfriends have now been caught up in his web and think he and his wife are the greatest.

Oldhorselady 05-09-2013 01:23 PM

.....from the flyer.....

This Clinic is desinged to make your horse training easier and less complicated. With this new approach training will be enjoyable and you will be able to do more with your horse than ever before. This is your chance to train with Tommie and his wife chantal up close and personal. Each session is geared to help you get the most out of your training and get on the right track. This Clinic is suitable for all ages and level of horse and rider. Sessions will include horsemanship training, prizes and amazing performances and plenty of one on one time with Tommie and chantal. Question and answer time. Their proven approach to training and sense of humor will keep you engaged and entertained all day long. This Clinic is a must to take your training to the next level.

It will strengthen the connection between you and your horse forever....

OwnedByAlli 05-09-2013 04:40 PM

IMO any decent trainer- regardless of profession- should be conveying to people that a mutual agreement of heiarachy, fairness of handling, understanding of how horses think, and mutual trust are the most important aspects of horse training and building a relationship between horse and human. If he did beat the crap out of a horse at a demo, well... :evil:

I have no problem with trick training as long as the human is made aware of the dangers of teaching a horse to do things like drop to their knees for a bow or getting them to nudge/'hug'/nod/shake etc. Following this logic, I personally don't find it appropriate to say that trick training can help people 'get on the right track' or that it is ok to tell people of 'all levels' to lay their horse down :/ If the horse isn't responding properly to basic handling, teaching it ways of effectively evading your commands isn't going to help you 'get on the right track'

I dont think you are being overly sensitive at all, but perhaps let your friend do some trick training with their horse and see how it works out. They don't sound inexprienced per se and sometimes learning from experience is best:
I was given a trick training book by an older lady who didn't do it with her own horse but thought I would think trick training was 'cute'. I felt we had a firm enough relationship that she wouldn't use tricks to be naughty so started teaching Alz to bow. Niively i was like 'what can go wrong?!' and 'when is anyone ever going to acciedntally give the signal to bow and potentially cause and accident!?' (book had something like this at the front) Well I didnt have a problem with any of the above, but the farrier on the other hand... Alli got bored when being shod and decided the poor farrier was 'telling her to bow' which wasnt too clever! So even if the horse is well behaved with its normal handler, ask: is it as well bahaved with other people in testing situations!!
I learned from my mistake and no one was hurt but it certianly made me more aware thet trick training isn't easy or suitable for everyone!

Oldhorselady 05-09-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwnedByAlli (Post 2471241)
IMO any decent trainer- regardless of profession- should be conveying to people that a mutual agreement of heiarachy, fairness of handling, understanding of how horses think, and mutual trust are the most important aspects of horse training and building a relationship between horse and human. If he did beat the crap out of a horse at a demo, well... :evil:

I have no problem with trick training as long as the human is made aware of the dangers of teaching a horse to do things like drop to their knees for a bow or getting them to nudge/'hug'/nod/shake etc. Following this logic, I personally don't find it appropriate to say that trick training can help people 'get on the right track' or that it is ok to tell people of 'all levels' to lay their horse down :/ If the horse isn't responding properly to basic handling, teaching it ways of effectively evading your commands isn't going to help you 'get on the right track'

I dont think you are being overly sensitive at all, but perhaps let your friend do some trick training with their horse and see how it works out. They don't sound inexprienced per se and sometimes learning from experience is best:
I was given a trick training book by an older lady who didn't do it with her own horse but thought I would think trick training was 'cute'. I felt we had a firm enough relationship that she wouldn't use tricks to be naughty so started teaching Alz to bow. Niively i was like 'what can go wrong?!' and 'when is anyone ever going to acciedntally give the signal to bow and potentially cause and accident!?' (book had something like this at the front) Well I didnt have a problem with any of the above, but the farrier on the other hand... Alli got bored when being shod and decided the poor farrier was 'telling her to bow' which wasnt too clever! So even if the horse is well behaved with its normal handler, ask: is it as well bahaved with other people in testing situations!!
I learned from my mistake and no one was hurt but it certianly made me more aware thet trick training isn't easy or suitable for everyone!

I agree about thinking of the farrier. I even had given a thought to teaching one of my horses to lay down. With that thought, I thought of my farrier, and was thinking of ways to give a clear cue to lay down. The cue would definately not be lifting up her foot! After really thinking about it, I decided against the whole thing. I have a very quiet horse and I don't want to introduce something into our relationship that may make her frantic....why???? To impress someone??? So, I will leave it.

If this clinic was geared towards 'advanced' students or students clearly learning tricks for a specific reason...I can see it. But with the type of people that were there....omg. There were soooooo many other things that they could have learned to help themselves with their horses. One older lady was almost in tears from Tommy putting her down while she wasn't getting the lay down technique correct. One little ten year old was with her 'show' mom and nutty TB and she was completely scared to be near it....and had plenty of reason to be, while Mom wouldn't give up and wanted her to ride the horse. This went on, even after Chantel...Tommy's wife tried to work with the horse in the roundpen and it kept rearing and spinning and bolting. Oh, but we are going to lay this horse down????? Chantel had to actually not allow this horse in that part of the clinic and let the poor little ten year old girl ride Tommy's trained horse around the arena. Poor thing.

I wasn't there the first or the third day...maybe there was magic...idk. But I spent the whole second day out there and was not impressed by any of it.

6gun Kid 05-09-2013 07:50 PM

The dude is a sure enough fool, and his wife isnt much better. All I'm going to say on the subject.

Oldhorselady 05-09-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6gun Kid (Post 2472649)
The dude is a sure enough fool, and his wife isnt much better. All I'm going to say on the subject.

I agree.....

stevenson 05-11-2013 01:08 AM

never heard of him..