The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   I just want a saddle. Just one. (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/i-just-want-saddle-just-one-190249/)

New_image 05-09-2013 02:34 PM

I just want a saddle. Just one.

To much to ask for? I think not!

I have been looking for a saddle for my gelding for four years now. Granted, the search has been on and off, delayed some due to lack of funding and mostly, slowed down by purchasing a saddle to say "yup, that isn't going to fit..." waiting 3-4 weeks until it sells to use the funds to buy another saddle to say "nawww, that doesn't fit him either".

I would be being modest to say that he has tried over twelve saddles.

Crates, Big Horn, Circle Y, Billy Shaw, Simco, Fabtron, 2 customs & handfuls of "no name brand or less quality name brand" saddles that someone has brought by to try on him...

He fits his Warmblood sized dressage saddle beautifully and I have been practicing barrels in that - how is that for fun on a horse who bucks through a pattern? :lol:

So here I am with $1,200 saved up and a some more if we need it. Looking at saddles and not finding anything that I like. I really would rather pay $700-$800 for something used. I train horses and there is a pretty good chance that he isn't the only one who will use this saddle. So there is a pretty good chance that this saddle will be drug across a tree on the trail something so "new" scares me. But if I had a dollar for everyone who has told me that we should be able to find something to fit for this budget!

Does anyone have a big ole Quarter Horse who needs very honest FULL bars, flared bars or the like? Any saddle suggestions? Anyone want to go saddle shopping?! Baha!

He is a 15.3hh Appendix Quarter. This shouldn't be so hard but seriously, nothing fits him. I haven't tried a Billy Cook yet. I was kind of eyeing them next. Or a newer full quarter Circle Y.

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...August2009.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/DSC05763.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...b2011Image.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/DSCF0522.jpg

ilovepie32 05-09-2013 02:45 PM

You HAVE to try a Billy Cook. I couldn't find a saddle for the longest time, and I fell in love with my Billy Cook. They are so comfortable for the rider, and mine has made a huge difference in the way my horse rides. We both love it 😄

By the way, barrels in a dressage saddle has to be a sight to see haha!
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-09-2013 02:48 PM

Have you been on the barrel racing tack for sale or trade sites on facebook? Thats where I just found my josey, actually traded my jerry bethune for it. There are a multitude of different brands, gullets etc on there.

It is a struggle I'm so lucky that all the horses ive been riding are similar backed and I can jsut use a different pad if need be, atleast till I settle on one horse haha. Good luck though my trainer has that problem, her mare would throw you sky high the second you got on if her saddle didn't fit right, in fact she had to have a specific pad,cinch and saddle change before she was a happy camper haha darn sensitive mares.

ilovepie32 05-09-2013 02:56 PM

Oh, I guess I could have said that I found mine on Craigslist for $500 with only 6 rides on it. It's obvious that it is very new. I think the tack shop I go to ships saddles out also. They have great prices and the guy is really nice. Their Facebook account is "Red Ryder Ranch". They sell new and used tack, so there's something for every horse and every price range.
Posted via Mobile Device

New_image 05-09-2013 03:01 PM

I am on a local facebook tack group, I guess I could expand there.

Been searching craigslist within 500 miles for months!

Tack trader, horse clicks, forums etc. I get busy and forget to check, come back to find what I needed already sold.

If I owned a horse that needed semi bars we'd be set for years. I am thinking about hauling him to a tack shop down state to try on saddles. Great idea but they only have 3 barrel saddles in stock, last I checked, none of which I "loved" (If buying new that is)...

Billy Cook wise I find a lot of these 14.5" Billy Cook Barrel Saddle for sale in Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States of America :: HorseClicks Most do say 6 3/4 gullet which, I'd assume will not fit him. But pretty much any Billy Cook I've ran across is this same saddle over and over.

New_image 05-09-2013 03:03 PM

Looking now and here it is again:
14" Billy Cook Barrel Racing Saddle for sale in Erath, Texas, United States of America :: HorseClicks

Found 4 on CL too. Having a hard time finding other Billy cook saddles and wondering why these are all for sale? Does anyone have this saddle, and like it?

ilovepie32 05-09-2013 03:19 PM

That looks very similar to mine. I don't know what model number that is, but mine is 1524. It looks exactly the same but lighter.

14" 15" 16" Genuine Billy Cook Saddle, Barrel Saddle 1524

Like I said, I love mine. I think mine is 14" or 14.5".
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 05-09-2013 04:16 PM

So I take you need a wide gullet for him? I would try and find a used Martin as they run with wider gullets.

I have a flat, mutton withered, wide chested guy and I ordered him a custom Triple Creek (love the saddles) an it fits him great.

What is your horse built like?
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 05-09-2013 04:24 PM

I wish you were nearby and I'd loan you my Corriente to see if it would fit him. I ride a lot of really broad, flat-backed horses and it fits them well...and seems to fit a really wide range of horses. I'm currently using it on my 16.1, 1500 pound draft cross and it fits him perfectly.

CLaPorte432 05-09-2013 04:26 PM

893 Attachment(s)
nicole, i have 3 billy cooks. full quarter horse bars, 7 inch gullet. they are very nice saddles, but make sure you get the ones from sulfer, ok. not greenville, tx. big difference in quality.

my appendix mare looks similarly built to Image...and the 7 inch gullet is a tad tight.

have you looked into treeless? they are a love em or hate em type of saddle...
Posted via Mobile Device