The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Minn. Patrol puts 2 horses down because they escaped from their barn. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/minn-patrol-puts-2-horses-down-190281/)

TheAQHAGirl 05-09-2013 04:26 PM

Minn. Patrol puts 2 horses down because they escaped from their barn.

Minn. Farmer ‘Shocked’ After Horses Put Down By State Patrol « CBS Minnesota

I just read this from Facebook and I'm completely surprised.
I could understand that the police officers would put a horse down in a situation like that IF they had animal control, vets with tranquilizers, etc.

What just really caught me off guard was that they didn't even try contacting animal control/vets. According to the owner (can't say if she was exaggerating or not) they didn't even spend 20 minutes trying to catch the horse, and she also has to pay the bills.

What do you think? I'd like to hear what others say.

Jake and Dai 05-09-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 2471105)
Minn. Farmer ‘Shocked’ After Horses Put Down By State Patrol « CBS Minnesota

I just read this from Facebook and I'm completely surprised.
I could understand that the police officers would put a horse down in a situation like that IF they had animal control, vets with tranquilizers, etc.

What just really caught me off guard was that they didn't even try contacting animal control/vets. According to the owner (can't say if she was exaggerating or not) they didn't even spend 20 minutes trying to catch the horse, and she also has to pay the bills.

What do you think? I'd like to hear what others say.

It's hard to say who was exaggerating. I expect the owner was hugely upset (I sure would've been).

But, it was dark and the horses were on/near a major highway. So, in my view, that caused an imminent danger to the motorists. Depending on the size of the police force and the contours of the road, it may not have been feasible to block traffic while they tried to find the owners or a vet available with a traquilizer. I suspect that could've taken a bit of time and meanwhile, the horses might have run off beyond where they stopped traffice in the blink of an eye.

It was a tragic accident for sure, but I believe the officers did what they needed to do to prevent serious accidents or loss of human life.

Delfina 05-09-2013 04:36 PM

They were on the interstate... so picture 2 loose horses and cars going 75mph. Now you have a danger to motorists (loose horses) and a danger to the cops (the motorists zooming down the road).

Not to mention, what does a cop know about a horse? Unless you happen to get really lucky, the answer is probably not much. Even if they did, buckets of grain, halters and ropes aren't standard issue police gear.

The owner is saying she was *only* a 10min walk away. Perhaps so but I highly doubt "I live at xxx address" was painted in giant letters on the side of the horses so you have cops out in the middle of the night with horses that belong to godonlyknowswho....

Took me 2 DAYS to find the owner of a loose pony that showed up at our barn one day and they live all of 5mins away if you're a fence jumping, dingleheaded pony!

Animal Control isn't readily available in all places. If I call animal control I get a recorded message that tell me to call the cops unless I live in absolute BFE which I happen to so they will help me but only M-F, 8-5pm. Otherwise it's call the cops!

Jake and Dai 05-09-2013 04:44 PM

My neighbor once called me to collect a few horses that had gotten loose from down the road. She was driving somewhere and noticed them on someone's front lawn. Being an animal lover she was hoping I would help. :-)

So I collected all the halters and leads I had, hopped in my jeep, drove to where they were and started to gather them up. A nice lady who used to have a horse stopped to help and we led 2 with the others following down the road. A minimally travelled side road in broad daylight. We were able to stop cars by waving our arms about and I think the motorists were rather amused by the parade walking down the middle of the road.

A police officer did show up and helped to block the road as we were putting the horses back in their paddock.

And the first thing he said to me when I walked over to thank him?

"Thank god you were here. I know NOTHING about horses!"

Corporal 05-09-2013 04:45 PM

The cops know NOTHING about horses. I remember my previous (AWESOME, just too far away, now) Vet who taught the "Horse Health Care" course I took, in 1985. He taught us where you shoot to put a horse down and told us a horror story that happened at the race track. A racehorse had panicked and shattered a leg. The office shot a good 8 times before he accidentally shot in the right place. FIND IT BY DRAWING A STRAIGHT LINE FROM EYE TO EAR. Where they cross is the center of the equine brain.
Yes, they can cause a severe Interstate accident in the dark.
This is a good warning about using electric fences. Where I used to keep my horses the owner got tired of fixing his wood fencing, so he went electric. Though not close to the busy highway, I can't tell you how many times the circuit wasn't working. Glad it was my older, calm gelding that I found one day with electric wire wrapped around his pastern. 'O'
Please consider using electric as a temporary fence, or putting it on the inside of your wooden fence. Horses can smell it when it's on, and the grass is always greener outside.
Before you say that it's way too expensive, how much is your horse worth to you? Consider replacing it piece by piece, instead.

Copperhead 05-09-2013 05:15 PM

Police were in the right. It was night out and horses are unpredictable. A horse's life is not worth a human's.

Iseul 05-09-2013 05:23 PM

While I would be upset too, the police were right to shoot the horses. It's devastating, but I completely agree with Copperhead. A horse is not worth a human when life is involved.

Depending on which horses of mine it was (theoretically, right now it's only one lol), I'd be kicking and screaming at the police..But I would know they were in the right to do such.

I didn't even read the article, but horses in the dark near a highway...automatically know what's more important. The horses should've had better fencing and they'd still be alive. Not their fault, but the owners should (and are) responsible. Including clean up fees and such.
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-09-2013 05:43 PM

If those horses had caused an accident, the owner would be liable. He's lucky the cops got the horses before anyone was hurt. It's horrible that it had to happen, though.

TheAQHAGirl 05-09-2013 06:01 PM

Jake and Dai I really like your statement there. Very true.

I also agree with Copperhead, but I still feel like the should have at least tried to contact a vet/animal control. But still, the cop probably saved more lives than killed.

Rachel1786 05-09-2013 06:17 PM

How much traffic could there have been at 2am tho? I just think that if they had put a cop car across the road with lights on it would have given them more time to try to catch the horses. I think they were way to quick to act, I could see if it was rush hour...