The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   9 year old Quarter Horse Gelding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/9-year-old-quarter-horse-gelding-190457/)

Brendagun 05-09-2013 10:03 PM

9 year old Quarter Horse Gelding

6 Attachment(s)
I've been waiting for my man to slick out, and he is finally almost done. I'm interested in what you guys think of his overall conditioning, and any major faults. The front and back pictures are horrible, but I included them anyway. The one thing I know for sure is he has ridiculously high withers. Those things HURT bareback.

Just for a little insight, I've owned him for about ten months, and he's been ridden almost every day. He has a super nice, slow trot that is smoother than his walk, and a big swooping lope, though it's still pretty comfortable. I'm wondering if his conformation has anything to do with this?

As a side question, do shallow central grooves mean anything? He didn't have a deep one to start with, but it has gotten shallower over time. Not flat, just shallow. He has very good feet otherwise. No cracking, and hardly need to be trimmed.

Tryst 05-09-2013 10:42 PM

Love his color. Overall I think he looks to be in good weight and nicely muscled. However his neck muscles are upside down (bottom muscle bigger than top muscle) and he does not have a lot of muscle along his topline. He has quite a long back and a fairly week loin. He is a bit upright in the shoulder with a fairly low set neck. He toes out a little bit up front and although his feet are not long his hooves do seem unbalanced to me. Something looks odd about his hindquarters beyond his relatively short and steep croup. I think it is that he has really tight bunched muscles in the area over his hip. I am not quite sure why, but he might be sore in that area. Nice deep chest. A touch tied in at the knee, but feet appear decent sized. Good angle to his pasterns. Kind expression. While not perfect, He looks to be a good solid citizen that should be versatile to a variety of tasks.

Brendagun 05-09-2013 10:53 PM

Thank you for the critique~ I agree about the neck muscles and topline. We've been struggling with that ever since I got him. I also agree that he seems.. oddly built in the back. Do you think there is anything I should be mindful of in the coming years? I want him to live a long, fulfilling life with no injuries.

And versatility at a variety of tasks is exactly what I'm looking for with him. Master at nothing, but decent at a lot. My man gladly jumps into the tasks I throw at him.

BarrelracingArabian 05-10-2013 12:11 AM

His front feet almost look like whoever has been doing them has been almost trying to make the more square then round? I don't personally like the look of the way they've been trimmed.

Other then that I'm not very good with confo yet, he looks good though :]

Allegro 05-10-2013 01:33 AM

Okay...
I like his muscling... he seems to be in pretty good condition.

Conformation wise:
His head seems well formed. One thing that sticks out to me are his flared nostrils in all the pictures which makes me wonder if he has an onset of heaves as nostrils should not be flared at rest.

His head attaches to his neck with a rather thick throatlatch which can restrict his breathing when asked to flex at the poll. His muscling is upside down with the lower muscle larger than the top, but as I see no major ewe shape, I don't think it would be too difficult to fix or too much of a problem. His neck attaches slightly too low to an upright shoulder.

His back seems a little long and he appears to have a weak coupling. His tail is set too high on a goose rump.

His hind legs seem post-legged, although it doesn't seem to be severe. He appears to be camped-under in his front legs, but it could just be the way he happened to be standing.

From the back he looks pretty good: his stifle appears to be the widest part. He seems a little splay-footed, particularly on his left front.

tinyliny 05-10-2013 02:24 AM

I see that he is a bit back at the knee, and maybe a tad "bench kneed", from the front angle.

I am intrigued that other people picked up on his facial expression being one of possible abnormaility or discomfort. My initial impression was of a horse that is in pain, somehow, with the flaired nostril and the kind of tight jaw. I can not put my finger on it, but that was my first impression , of a hrose not relaxed or comfortable, but rather "enduring" something. and I had that impression before reading anything written by others. Could he be in any pain? it's very odd that I had that impression, but I am not alone.

Brendagun 05-10-2013 08:41 AM

Thank you guys for the feedback.

He may look uncomfortable because he wanted to be five steps over to sniff in the empty feed bucket, and I had to move him around for a while to get any semblance of square. He likes to pout. Sans photo sessions he normally is relaxed, bottom lip hanging.

He does have the slobbers right now. We had a lot of rain, and all the clover in the field is infected. I had stalled him for a few days and it went away, but put him back out because he stocks up in his back legs when stalled. That shouldn't really affect anything besides me having to watch his water intake, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

michigancowgirl 05-11-2013 06:22 PM

Hes pretty! Maybe slightly ribby for my likings and his hooves need trimmed and shaped:)

trailhorserider 05-11-2013 08:38 PM

I think he's really lovely. Really, there's not anything about him I dislike, he looks like a sturdy, useful horse.

The feet look like "natural" bare feet to me. When my guys are getting a bit long, that's exactly what they look like....a little high on the inside and the toes are a bit rounded off (that's their break-over). So the feet don't bother me at all. If he would my horse I would give him a light trim or even just go over them with a rasp and call it good. :-)