The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   My mare is showing strange heat signs towards stallion **anyone have this happen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/my-mare-showing-strange-heat-signs-190689/)

alfjupiter82 05-10-2013 02:21 PM

My mare is showing strange heat signs towards stallion **anyone have this happen?

My mare went through transitional heat during the month of March. We took her to the vet and had a sonogram done. He found several follicles on each ovary but none that looked like they would develop. He told us to wait to breed until her next cycle. She came into a normal heat cycle the month of April from the 14th through the 20th. She was bred on the 15th and every other day until she went out of heat. I started checking her 14 days later to see if she came back into heat which she did on May the 6th. I waited until the 3rd day of heat signs and bred her on the 8th. Today is the day for me to breed her again but she was acting very strange when I took her to see the stallion. Normally when in heat she is very excited, makes noises and talks to him, will wink, squat, hold tail high and urinate. Today she seemed very interested in him and was talking but when we got up to him she started moving her mouth like a foal would do and lowering her head. She was winking and peeing but her tail was clamped down tight against her rear. I only knew she was winking and peeing when I lifted her tail which was difficult to lift. When I tried to lead her away she didn't want to leave and just kept her head lowered almost to the ground. Finally got her to turn around and she stopped in front of the stallion and raised her tail a bit with more winking. Had to almost drag her away. Two days ago when she was bred she did act a bit strange by kicking out when led away to get cleaned up. (Stallion was already led away and not near her) She is a very easy going mare that has never kicked out like that before and today is the first time she has shown this behavior during teasing. I'm wondering now if she may have taken when bred a few weeks ago and her hormones may be a bit wacky since early in the pregnancy. It was just strange to me that she came back into heat right at the time she should have if she had not taken. I've tried to google search this and have found nothing. Hoping that someone here has had a similar situation. Going to get her to the vet for sonogram but likely won't be able to get in until tomorrow.
The stallion and mare have never had any issues with each other.
Mare is 12 years old.

nickers103 05-10-2013 02:56 PM

A very interesting case indeed. During my equine breeding class, I recall the instructor mentioning that sometimes a mare may display a false heat the next month or two post-breeding. There could be a likelihood that she did take during the earlier breeding. You are wise in having the vet out to perform a sonogram, just to be certain. Let us know what he/she discovers!

ponypile 05-10-2013 08:29 PM

The foal chewing is normal for a mare meeting a stallion. I've seen a couple (one was a very dominant mare in her herd!) do the foal chew while meeting the stallion and being bred. I wouldn't worry about the kicking out thing. There's a lot of excitement and hormones going on during breeding, and as long as it wasn't aimed at anyone, and it's a one time occurrence, I wouldn't worry.

EmsTNWalkers 05-10-2013 09:38 PM

Maybe it's because he never called after last time....:lol:

Glynnis 05-11-2013 12:38 AM

^ Hahahaha.

And that is strange behaviour. Wish I knew more about it to be of much use. When I was a kid, we had a mare come into false heat after being bred, but it was too late in the year to re-breed so we never did see what her behaviour would have been with the stallion. I think you're on the right track having a sonogram though. Good luck! Hopefully you will have another pair of legs running around next year!

alfjupiter82 05-12-2013 10:11 PM

I know the foal mouthing can be normal for some mares but she has never done this before. Her last heat cycle she acted like the normal textbook mare by talking to the stallion, lifting her tail, winking/peeing, and then turning and backing towards stallion. She's going to the vet tomorrow afternoon to have a sonogram. I'll keep everyone informed.

alfjupiter82 05-14-2013 11:42 AM

UPDATE:
Had my mare checked by the vet yesterday and she came back in foal! I guess that answers why she had the strange behavior. Expecting a late March 2014 foal :D

Mousie96 05-15-2013 12:18 AM

So do you know if it was the first set of breedings that was the one to go the trick? Going through the same thing with my mare. Stallion jumped a 6' fence just to be with her but hasn't done anything.<br />
<font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font>

alfjupiter82 05-15-2013 01:36 PM

It was the first breeding that she took on. The vet told me that sometimes the pregnancy hormones haven't quite gotten strong enough for the mare to not be a bit receptive to the stallion. The first day I bred her (after her first heat cycle that she took on) she acted completely normal except that after the breeding she kicked out when being led to wash off. I guess her body really wasn't ready for breeding so it was a bit uncomfortable for her. 2 days later when I checked her with the stallion is when she started showing those strange signs. Hormones may have been starting to build. Learning lesson to this is have your mare checked by sonogram at 18 days or so before breeding on the next heat cycle. Plus if there are twins one can be removed. The later the sonogram the harder to stop twin pregnancy. Many mares still cycle the next month or two.