The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What color will he be? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-color-will-he-190761/)

RobinU 05-10-2013 05:17 PM

What color will he be?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a palomino mare bred to a sorrel stallion...this colt is 2 weeks old and I'd like to know if he could change to a palomino color...

toto 05-10-2013 05:24 PM

Congrats on the foal.. I cant really see him in that picture-- do you have any more?

a palomino is a sorrel/chestnut with 1 cream gene.. Palomino bred with sorrel is a 50-50% chance on gettin palomino.. *random palo infooo* :lol:

Peppy Barrel Racing 05-10-2013 06:03 PM

Do you have a closer picture? Its hard to tell with certainty in that pic. The baby can only be two colors sorrel or palomino.
Posted via Mobile Device

WyndellaRose 05-10-2013 06:59 PM

Horses don't just change colors. He appears sorrel to me and will stay whichever color he was born. There are varying shades of sorrel though so it'll be interesting to see after he sheds.

Poseidon 05-10-2013 09:46 PM

A better picture would be nice. It can be difficult to tell sometimes on chestnut or palomino foals. I know Chiilaa has a series of photos of a filly that is bright red, but sheds out to be a very gold palomino.

ponypile 05-11-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 2480057)
A better picture would be nice. It can be difficult to tell sometimes on chestnut or palomino foals. I know Chiilaa has a series of photos of a filly that is bright red, but sheds out to be a very gold palomino.

In contrast, the horse I ride was born a peachy, palomino/red dun like colour, and shed out chestnut. Though we knew she was chestnut as both parents were bay.

paintedpastures 05-11-2013 02:50 AM

definitely need a close pic of baby Is hard to say with certainty from that pic:-(.As said you had chance of a sorrel or palomino baby. Baby does look pretty light in that picture.Palomino foals can be born a peachy/reddish color but then loose that red hue & do shed out golden:D

RobinU 05-13-2013 08:53 AM

What color will he be?

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a most recent photo of him... He will be 3 weeks old this Tuesday...He has great bloodlines...Doc Bar, Poco Bueno, King, and Impressive...he has to be tested...mare is n/h...

Peppy Barrel Racing 05-13-2013 10:56 AM

Baby looks sorrel. Hope you have a HYPP negative baby....
Posted via Mobile Device

Tryst 05-13-2013 11:05 PM

This foal looks to be very light and an odd shade for a chestnut. I am betting he is a palomino.

This foal is a dark palomino and the shade is similar to your colt-->Dallas - Horse Pictures