The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Teaching non gaited horses to rack? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/teaching-non-gaited-horses-rack-19089/)

Zab 12-10-2008 12:45 PM

Teaching non gaited horses to rack?

Can you do that?
I've seen arabians on those racking shows, but I've bneer ever heard of gaited arabians.. then I heard the other night that you can teach a non-gaited horse to rack.

Is that true?
How do you do it?
can you do it to just any horse?

Not that I need it, but it's interesting :P

handytsabre 12-28-2008 07:43 AM

my friend has an arab that does REALLY well in state shows. He does saddle seat.

megannigan 12-28-2008 08:46 AM

Just because they arabian shows saddle seat doesn't mean that it racks. Arabians trot, but they do the whole high knee action thing... I have heard of horses who were non gaited breeds racking, but they did it on their own naturally. They weren't trained to do so. Where I work, we have had 2 registered paints or apps, with no gaited horse in their bloodlines whatsoever that racked. I don't think you can train a non gaited horse to rack, but sometimes it happens naturally. I'm no expert in that area though.

iridehorses 12-28-2008 08:59 AM

I suppose you can teach a horse to rack the same way you can teach a horse to do dressage or anything else for that matter. I think it will always look "taught" and not natural. As megannigan pointed out some non gaited horses do it naturally.

Zab 12-28-2008 07:01 PM

Finally some answers! :P

But those arabians I saw definetly racked....

And I still wonder how they're trained.

Sissimut-icehestar 12-28-2008 07:08 PM

I don't think it can be compared with teaching a horse dressage. Dressage is based on gaits already found in the horse, I would think it's more difficult to teach a horse a whole new gait.

LadyDreamer 12-28-2008 11:33 PM

With Saddlebreds, a lot of people consider the rack as a "trained" gait. Very few Saddlebreds do a natural 4 beat rack without schooling. They have the natural inclination to learn, and the genetic ability to perform it. Often you will see babies rack along after their mothers as it is easier to keep up, but they are predominant trotters. We had a few colts who took a few months to become comfortable with their trot. It is the horse, ultimately, who decides if he would be better off as a three gaited, or five gaited horse. Some prefer the rack over the trot. Some are never taught the cues to rack undersaddle. But if they are to compete as a five gaited horse they must perform a walk, trot, canter, slow-gait, and rack.

Are you sure the Arabians you saw were performing a true four-beat(each foot hitting the ground independently) lateral gait?

Zab 12-29-2008 07:24 AM

Sissimut; I agree there but couldn't find a good way to say it :P

LadyDreamer; It wasn't IRL but just filmclips, but yes they were. I can't see if it was a perfect rack, it might have been a bit pacey, but it was definetly not trot, walk, canter or pace but a rack, I know how it looks. They had loads of gears/tack on their feet and it didn't exactly look natural, more like in the ''big lick'', but not quite.

iridehorses 12-29-2008 08:41 AM

I'm afraid that you took me too literally. My point being that I believe you can teach a horse to learn different disciplines or "tricks", whether it is dressage, reining, or racking. If it isn't natural, then it is a "trick".

Zab 12-29-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 218736)
I'm afraid that you took me too literally. My point being that I believe you can teach a horse to learn different disciplines or "tricks", whether it is dressage, reining, or racking. If it isn't natural, then it is a "trick".

Then all riding is a ''trick'' ;)

But the thing is, that while dressage or reining is something pretty mucch every horse can do, and (almost) all of it is done ''in the wild'' even if not under the same circumstanses as under a rider. (piaff when the horse is excited or nervous, rollback when it needs to get awway from danger etc) But racking is a gait most horses today can't, or arn't supposed to be able to, do. You see icelandics pacing and racking in the pasture, but you don't see a swedish warmblood doing it, and as far as I know, you don't see arabians doing it.

What's normally called tricks are often more natural than riding, btw. Rearing, bowing (they do it everytime they lay down ;) laying down, siting (when they get up again) pawing (checking ''strange'' grounds), 'yoga'' (itchy) etc :P I say 'tricks' are way more natural than carrying a rider over obstacles, making leg yieldings or shoulder ins.. :wink: