The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   QH question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/qh-question-190977/)

MyBoyPuck 05-10-2013 11:50 PM

QH question

I normally ride TBs. This might sound odd, but over the past week I have ridden a few QHs and was really surprised how much movement there is in their shoulders. In both cases, I felt like I was riding a slinky. Does anyone know why you feel so much movement in front with that breed? It felt so odd to me.

tinyliny 05-11-2013 01:51 AM

huh? like a slinky? you mean side to side movement? or ? I don't quite get what you mean. I have always felt thbds had a lot more movement. Maybe it's that thbds usually seem to have more "schwung" (is the the correct word?) or loose swinging in their backs than I perceive in QH's. But, to be honest, I havne' ridden a qh for some time now.

tinyliny 05-11-2013 01:51 AM

huh? like a slinky? you mean side to side movement? or ? I don't quite get what you mean. I have always felt thbds had a lot more movement. Maybe it's that thbds usually seem to have more "schwung" (is the the correct word?) or loose swinging in their backs than I perceive in QH's. But, to be honest, I havne' ridden a qh for some time now.

MyBoyPuck 05-11-2013 06:51 PM

I can't really explain it. When I'm on my TB, unless I'm giving an aid, we're just off in the direction we're going. When I got on both QH's last week, I just felt like there was all sorts of extra "noise" going on down there. I felt like I had to recorrect the direction and bend every micro second. I felt downright unstable sitting on both of them, like I was sitting on an earthquake. I wish I could find a better way to describe it, but that's all I've got.

soenjer55 05-11-2013 06:56 PM

Did they have long backs? I think that you're dealing with something that has more to do with the individual horses than the breed. Most of the quarter horses I've dealt with have actually been the opposite, where their strides were very short and choppy. That's because I live in a place where there are ten of them every few acres, so running into ones with mediocre conformation is common- lots of straight shoulders and pasterns, etc.

stevenson 05-11-2013 07:06 PM

are they trained quarters for cutting or reining ? maybe you are giving them incorrect cues ? most 1/4's are powerhouses and quick and can spin right out from underneath you. ;)

MyBoyPuck 05-11-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenson (Post 2486689)
most 1/4's are powerhouses and quick and can spin right out from underneath you. ;)

That's why I ride TBs! TB's spook straight up and down. You land where you started. Those darn QH's spin, drop their shoulder, dump me on the ground and run off laughing.

I don't think their backs were overly long or short. One is a full QH and has they downhill thing going on where you think you're going to slide right down his neck. The other is a QH cross and had a higher head set than I'm used to and short neck, so I feel like his ears are in my face.

It just feels like, if you ran a marathon and your legs are wobbling on the way to the finish, that's the feeling I get beneath me from the front legs.

Both are currently ridden english. Not sure about past training. I can get them on very nice 20 meter circles. I just feel like I'm steering a wobbly earthquake.

soenjer55 05-11-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 2486977)
That's why I ride TBs! TB's spook straight up and down. You land where you started. Those darn QH's spin, drop their shoulder, dump me on the ground and run off laughing.

I don't think their backs were overly long or short. One is a full QH and has they downhill thing going on where you think you're going to slide right down his neck. The other is a QH cross and had a higher head set than I'm used to and short neck, so I feel like his ears are in my face.

It just feels like, if you ran a marathon and your legs are wobbling on the way to the finish, that's the feeling I get beneath me from the front legs.

Both are currently ridden english. Not sure about past training. I can get them on very nice 20 meter circles. I just feel like I'm steering a wobbly earthquake.

Congratulations, you've managed to sum up the breed in one sentence, LOL. Stevenson has a good point, I wonder what their breeding is.
I'll never forget hopping on my sister's old 17 hand trakhener, I've always ridden quarter horses, paints, and arabians, so I've gotten really used to the quick, catty movements... It made riding her trakhener the easiest thing, he was so big and his legs were so long that he couldn't pull anything without my being ready for it 5 minutes in advance, lol.

trailhorserider 05-11-2013 09:29 PM

I was going to guess it was their big, broad shoulders. I used to have Arabians and their legs just sort of went forward/backward when they walked. :lol:

But I find Quarter Horses have big, broad, undulating shoulders. Is that what you are feeling, large undulating shoulder movement?

The weirdest, most undulating walk I have ever felt was a TWH mare. I thought she was lame for the first few minutes. She really walked like a camel. I don't mean all gaited horses either, because I now own one and have ridden a dozen others. But this one TWH was weird!

But my personal observation has been that the more muscular the horse, the more you feel their shoulders.

MyBoyPuck 05-11-2013 09:30 PM

Yeah, it definitely is the in the shoulders. It's like they can go 100 different directions at any moment. I don't know why it feels so weird to me.