The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What kind of shoes does your horse have? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-kind-shoes-does-your-horse-19099/)

toosexy4myspotz 12-10-2008 03:02 PM

What kind of shoes does your horse have?

Poco recently just moved down from VA to SC and he just got new shoes. However, I hate them. They are steel flats and in my opinion he slides all over the hardtop. My last farrier (absolutely amazing) put diotech (I cant spell it) on his shoes so that he wouldnt slide. Well the farrier down here wont do it (I switching to the guy that shoes for the Dixie Stampede down here). I also really like the shoes that proped his heals up some but some people say that they put to much of a strain on your horse> Whats yalls opinion? He is rode on hardtop at least 2-3 times a week. He has to have some gripage and he HAS to have shoes. My last farrier said to never let him go barefooted again. *frowns*

appylover31803 12-10-2008 03:16 PM

I'm not sure what type of shoes Gem has.
These are themhttp://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1228940138

He's not ridden much, but he's never had any problems slipping on any surface. He only has them on the front.

Maybe talk to your current farrier and ask if there are different shoes he can put on Poco.

toosexy4myspotz 12-10-2008 03:23 PM

when he first put these on I asked if he had any like his old shoes and he said no the only he ever put on a horse were steel flats. They are very common and highly recommended but I also ride on the road more than most and come into contact with a lot of slick surfaces so having a completely flat shoe going down a hill on hardtop is lick 'okay, just slide on down'. Poco does just fine but I would rather know he walk down it safely than to just slide on down. I found another farrier that has ALOT more references that are extremely pleased with him. My last farrier was incredible. He shod horses all the way up and down the east coast. He makes the trip every 6 weeks. His biggest deal is down in Florida at a race track where he shoes their. I have never had a better farrier and never met anyone as nice or knowledgable as him. Plus he said Poco needed corrective shoeing!!! Yikes!!!!

appylover31803 12-10-2008 03:29 PM

i hope your new farrier will have different shoes and better ones for your riding!
I can imagine it being a bit scary trying to walk down a hill and you go sliding.
I saw one show where these woman were walking their horses on pavement and the horses had NO traction, and fell down and couldn't get up. The guys had to get a rug so the horse could stand up.
I hope that doesn't happen to you or Poco.

Did the farrier say WHY he needs corrective shoeing?

Gem, IMO has corrective shoeing. His feet were neglected and these shoes are helping him have a natural breakover (thats why I say they are corrective, even if they're not) And Gem has been doing really well with these shoes. Only problem he's had with them is when he lost a shoe (due to mud)

toosexy4myspotz 12-10-2008 03:41 PM

About 6 months ago in Virginia it rained for like a week straight. Its all mountains where we lived and he slid down a hill sideways. I didnt think much of it because he didnt hit the ground and was walking fine. Well the next day I got him out and he was dragging both his hind legs with each step. Then I knew something happened. He actually strained two muscles in his back and had two huge knots on both sides of his back bone and he could not tolerate pressure on it at all. The only thing I could do was rub some DMSO on it and stall rest. It took him about three weeks to get over it and then I had the farrier out. Told him about it and we moved Poco onto a flat surface of hard top and shook his head. My heart sank. Poco has one hip lower than the other and with the combination of him sliding down the hill he ended up hurting his back. Well, now that we are down here in South Carolina hes doing great, no tenderness in his back whatsoever. My farrier said because he wasnt competing or doing extremely vigerous exercise that on flat ground he would be fine. We dont have any big hills down here and his pasture is completely flat.

Kincsem 12-10-2008 04:06 PM

I think your horse would be better off with boots. Boots have rubber treaded bottoms like tires and can help with traction and they can be removed at any time. A horse with shoes is more dangerous to himself and other horses. A horse with boots is the opposite. The boots would cushion the impact if they strike themself or another horse or a person. They can be removed when the horse is in the paddock or pasture or stall and his hooves can get a little natural wear. A lot of people who trail ride use them.

Spastic_Dove 12-10-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kincsem (Post 208676)
I think your horse would be better off with boots. Boots have rubber treaded bottoms like tires and can help with traction and they can be removed at any time. A horse with shoes is more dangerous to himself and other horses. A horse with boots is the opposite. The boots would cushion the impact if they strike themself or another horse or a person. They can be removed when the horse is in the paddock or pasture or stall and his hooves can get a little natural wear. A lot of people who trail ride use them.

...Do you mean like one of these?http://www.tackroominc.com/images/CavalloEasyBoot.jpg

Tennessee 12-10-2008 10:18 PM

Most of our horses have steel flats and they do just fine on a hard surface such as concrete. However, our reiners have sliders. I think one of our horses has those polyutherane(spelling?) shoes, but I am not totally sure.

toosexy4myspotz 12-11-2008 02:44 PM

Hes has to have shoes on 24/7 He cant go barefooted at all. Even with the soft ground that we have down here he still has to have shoes so the rubber boots arent an option.

toosexy4myspotz 12-11-2008 02:46 PM

My horse sees other horse but he never comes into contact with them unless we go on a trail ride with someone else which is once in a blue moon. Hes kept in a pasture by himself so Im not worried about the shoes causing harm to another horse.