The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   foal movement (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/foal-movement-19106/)

Just Jane 12-10-2008 04:37 PM

foal movement

My mare has movement in her flanks. hopefully in foal. At what stage of pregnant should you be able to feel something. My mare seasons when in foal. :?

satrider 12-10-2008 04:43 PM

I WAS GOING TO ASK SOMEONE ABOUT THE SAME THING. My Mare is in Foal and I have wondered if movement can be seen or felt. The other day I was looking at her nad I thought I saw movement. How exiting, I have never seen this before. When she was pregnant the last time.

satrider 12-10-2008 04:47 PM

Just Jane-- I don't guess anyone is online that knows about this

Spastic_Dove 12-10-2008 06:57 PM

Do you mean to see if it is foal or to feel a foal you know is there?
To test to see if she is in foal you should just have your vet out.
To feel a foal you know is there I have no idea, I was never lucky enough to be sure when I was around the broodmares. I always thought it may be gas. x_X

shermanismybaby3006 12-10-2008 09:40 PM

I dont know the exact time that you can see the baby move, but when my friends horse was pregnant they could see the baby at 9 months into her pregnancy.

farmpony84 12-11-2008 11:11 AM

I was going to say about 9 or 10 months. I can't remember with Beauty when it was. I could feel the baby before I could see him. I would hold my hands on her belly and rub...

CheyAut 12-11-2008 11:35 AM

Usually after 7 months.

Angel_Leaguer 12-11-2008 01:20 PM

it really depends on how the mare carries the foal. Chloe seems to carry them up more till about 8-9 months then she drops and you can really feel it.

ColourFan 12-11-2008 03:12 PM

Mine are both 6 months pregnant and both are showing movement.
Last sunday I took out my stethescope to listen for the heartbeat and while doing so under the tummy of my older mare, I got 'kicked' for my efforts!! Unfortunately with my maiden mare I could not hear the heartbeat but there was a lot of activity. So much that my mare lifted her leg to kick her stomach, got told off because I was standing there and then glared at me thinking I was the cause!! Had to laugh because she moved away from me but that didn't stop the movement so she was a bit lost as to what to do next.

satrider 12-11-2008 04:31 PM

thanks y'all, now I know I saw mine move. I never noticed it when she was pregnant before and always wondered.