The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tree size on western saddle for my danish warmblood? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tree-size-western-saddle-my-danish-19107/)

figaro 12-10-2008 04:41 PM

Tree size on western saddle for my danish warmblood?

1 Attachment(s)
I've just taken up western riding and am loving it!
My problem is I don't know what tree size my danish warmblood would fit into. When riding with an english saddle, he fits really well into Wintec Cair medium (blue gullet), Frank Baines medium/wide and Sommer 31 cm. All saddles with a really straight back, which he needs cause he's shaped like a thouroughbred (except for being wider of course). My trainer in the US (who hasn't met my horse) says that most warmbloods needs an arabian tree but the arabians I've seen have usually wider withers than my horse. They usually have a rounder back as well.
Could someone help me out??? I'm starting to get lost...

He's a little bit dirty on the picture but at least you can see how he's shaped...

luvs2ride1979 12-10-2008 06:06 PM

If he truly fits into the Medium Wintec gullet, then I would try Semi-QH bars or QH bars. An Arabian tree would likely be too wide on him, as would Full QH bars.

Dumas'_Grrrl 12-10-2008 11:15 PM

Semi QH bars would be my recomendation as a place to start too. Remember that not all saddle makers use the same specifications for tree size...just like people clothes some semi's run larger and some run smaller. I wish you luck as saddle fit is always a heck of a chore.

LoveMyFinny 12-10-2008 11:39 PM

My Holsteiner uses a semi QH and it fits her perfectly.

figaro 12-11-2008 08:12 AM

Thank you! That was my feel too...
What do you think about the back of the saddle being to curbed and not straight enough for his back? Do you know any brands that might suit him?
I've been looking at an Abetta endurance saddle, it was lightweight and they could ship to Sweden...

Dumas'_Grrrl 12-11-2008 09:01 AM

If you're thinking synthetic, I'd recommed looking into Fabtron saddles, They cost more than the Abetta but I LOVE my Fabtron. It's comfortable and has lasted beautifully (with less than perfect care).

I have noticed that the Abetta doesn't have such a curve so that may very well be a good option too.

luvs2ride1979 12-11-2008 04:31 PM

Abettas are great. I have an Endurance and it held up to a lot of use and abuse! It wasn't the comfiest of things for me (I like a narrow twist), but that was easily remedied by a sheepskin seat cover. Their regular QH tree seems to fit a lot of horses really well. I'd recommend that size tree if you get an Abetta.

figaro 12-11-2008 04:43 PM

Thanks!
I'd say I'd prefer a narrow twist as well but it still sounds like a good start.
How many inches would a normal QH tree be?

luvs2ride1979 12-11-2008 04:51 PM

QH bars are usually 6.75" or a little less. They're in between Semi-QH and Full QH bars. You just need a thicker pad for more narrow horses. It's nice to get a saddle that's a tad wide, in case he gains muscle or weight during the seasons.

figaro 12-11-2008 04:55 PM

How can that be translated to english tree sizes (or can't it)?
So maybe I should get a full QH bar? He sometimes gains so much muscles during the summer that I have to go up to the red Wintec gullet (which I would guess would be about 34 cm).