The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   One rein quick stop question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/one-rein-quick-stop-question-191073/)

teresa60 05-11-2013 10:45 AM

One rein quick stop question

Question I am assuming that the quick stop is to just pull on one rein. Any advice on the correct whay to do it just in case I ever have to use it .

Freemare 05-11-2013 11:04 AM

You first need to make sure your horse has a idea on how to do it.

teresa60 05-11-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freemare (Post 2483793)
You first need to make sure your horse has a idea on how to do it. Teaching the Emergency Stop/One Rein Stop - YouTube

Very helpful :-)

Idrivetrotters 05-11-2013 09:20 PM

I first teach the horse to disengage the hind end from the ground. I stand to the side and push on their ribs roughly where my leg would go and I say "over" and push while I take the halter and move the head towards me, the response I want is for the hind leg on my side to cross over the opposite leg. Once I have the horse understanding both sides, I then ask from the saddle. We practice this until the horse completely understands what I'm asking.

bsms 05-11-2013 09:43 PM

I don't really see the point of a "one rein stop". A horse can gallop full speed with its nose at your knee - unbalanced & awkward, but galloping still. If it is just a cue to stop, then how is it more effective than any other cue? And if my horse is bolting down a narrow trail, then anything that might turn her isn't a very good idea.

Spiraling to a slower speed is OK, and a pulley stop can be helpful. The ORS confuses me, but perhaps I'm easily confused.

Idrivetrotters 05-11-2013 11:02 PM

The one rein stop may not completely stop a dead run away, but it is very useful in PREVENTING a dead run away.

The theory behind the one rein stop (doesn't have to be a run away, a horse that is getting too forward, or is ignoring a half halt can get a one rein stop can really help get the horse back in a calm frame of mind) is to prevent runaways and give the rider another tool to control the horse especially on the trail.

I teach all my horses to a) disengage their hindneds b) learn a one rein stop and c) learn half halts before we go out on trails. I find you can never have too many tools because one day a horse will ask you a question that you do not have the answer for and the one rein stop is a good tool to bring the horse back to you.

JustWingIt 05-11-2013 11:04 PM

Anyway, I didn't watch either of the videos but I was always taught to plant one hand on the withers of the horse, and pull the other rein.

Iseul 05-11-2013 11:15 PM

To stop a bolting horse that is already bolting, I agree with the pulley rein that was posted.

To stop a horse from bolting (that you feel before it happens) or throwing a full blown bronc fit, I prefer the ORS.

I taught mine a little differently though..I don't ask her to move her hindquarters..When her head bends past a certain point, she's expected to plant her feet and stay straight. I don't practice at a canter, but she stops immediately at walk/trot.

I start with teaching my horse to give her head to my boot or her shoulder (on ground or in saddle) and hold it there until I release her (no constant pressure on my rein).
Say I started at a walk..when I ask my horse to give, she is not to move a foot and hold her head flexed for me, I shouldn't have to hold her face, it should be given willfully. While I walk, I ask her to give and she stops as soon as she realizes that I'm not asking for a turn because there is no leg and gives her head. I have to pull a bit to get Her moving on the right path, but she understands that rein pressure with no leg means either stop or flex..in which case they go hand in hand.

From a trot..same thing happens. I pick up my rein with no leg, she stops and gives me her head until I release her.

Other than that..I'm not sure how to really explain it. But, that's why I train my horses instead of giving lessons, haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 05-15-2013 07:41 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I'm not a huge fan of the one rein stop either especially for a horse that has already ran off or already bucking. That ends up in a wreck and especially if you are any ground other than an arena or flat meadow.
I am not against teaching it and I usually start out using it for the first few rides on my young horses and then get away from it as I start introducing the outside rein. Plus I am not much for the constant over flexing that is associated with most NH clinicians methods.
I do like the pulley rein better, I didn't even know it was called that until now even though I had been taught it. But I have I pulled a horse onto myself from pulling too hard.
Either way if your on a full blown runaway it's not going to be pretty and the best thing is to remain as calm as you can and use your common sense to gauge the best way to save yourself from a wreck. And like mentioned above, if you can feel it and prevent it before it happens even better.

bsms 05-15-2013 08:27 PM

Back when Mia was a bolter, what stopped her better than anything else was calling her name softly. Once an ear flicked back to listen, she would stop. I honestly think she would forget I was on her back! I have no idea if that would work for anyone else...Mia & I are something of an odd couple. :wink: