The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation Critique Please - 5 y/o TB Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-critique-please-5-y-o-191145/)

Strange 05-11-2013 02:13 PM

Conformation Critique Please - 5 y/o TB Mare

3 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased Annie as a resale project. Her last race was in December '12 and she was in training up through mid-late February. She was turned out until April 9th, when I bought her. I don't have any super awesome conformation shots, but hopefully one or two of these will give you a general idea. As soon as I can find someone to come to the barn and help me hold her (and when she gains some more weight/muscle) I'lll be getting some more "traditional" conformation photos.

I apologize in advance for my watermarks, however I've had too many photos (even really crappy ones) taken and then have the horses claimed to be owned by someone else (weird, but sadly true). I've also included a photo of her trotting around the arena because she's so cute. :P

Tracer 05-13-2013 06:02 AM

She's a very pretty girl :)

As you said, not the best photos, but nothing jumps out at me as being horribly off. Possibly tied behind the knee, rather fine pasterns, and a flat topline. Nice shoulder though.

Muscles will make all the difference with her, I think. To me, she looks like she has the makings of a nice dressage horse, perhaps even a jumper with the nice slope of her hindquarters.

greentree 05-13-2013 08:38 AM

Lovely, just lovely. Her neck will shape up, and her wither will come up with proper work, and she will be EVEN more beautiful!

Nancy

Elana 05-14-2013 09:27 AM

She has a veri flat croup and this will limit the reach underneath with her hind feet. She will need to do a lot of gymnastic work to keep her supple. Horses with this top line have very strong back but they also tend to be stiff (just physics). She is not straight from the front.. she has some knock knees and bench knees going on (not severe but it is there).

She has a steep shoulder and a slightly ewe neck which will shorten her reach in front (so this will match with the limited reach behind due to the flat croup). She has decent bone and she is built level.

Altogether she is a nice horse but has (like they all do) some imperfections. I like her color, which will wash out with time. I think if she were a plain chestnut she would not get a good conformation critique.. but the flashy color makes it more difficult to critique her!

Strange 05-14-2013 01:29 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm going to try and get a couple of better shots of her today so keep your fingers crossed that she cooperates instead of trying to follow me and the camera as per her usual!
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 05-14-2013 02:43 PM

You need 3 people to take a good horse photo. One to handle the horse who understands legs closest to the camera need to be plumb.. hind leg away fron the camera slightly ahead and foreleg away from the camera slightly back (space to knees and hocks). Another person to get the horse's attention (ears forward and alert) and a third person to take the picture (and who can tell the horse handler what they need to do).

I did pro-photography for a few years including yearlings for the Saratoga Sale. The handler and attention getters were from Mexico and spoke Spanish. I cannot speak Spanish..

We got it done but we all had a learning curve in there! It was a blast! :)