The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   need help on which hoof boots to buy. (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/need-help-hoof-boots-buy-191201/)

spirit88 05-11-2013 02:58 PM

need help on which hoof boots to buy.

Ok so I have three diffrent hoof boots to choose from not sure which one to get.

Easycare oldmac g2 boot or easycare easy boot gloves. Or easycare easy boot. Easycare trails won't work only rated for 25 miles a week or a hour and a half a day.

We ride on average 4 hours a day and do up to 35 miles a day. Shoes aren't an option iam trimming my own horses. Don't have much choice its boots or barefoot.
Ease of putting on boots would be nice but will go with what's best if harder to put on oh well. I suffer through it.
Can't find a decent farrier so iv given that up and doing my own horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

michigancowgirl 05-11-2013 05:21 PM

I have the easy boot Old Macs G2s and I personally dont like them, but I dont think that I would like any boot for horses, they are big and clumsy and have way too much slop and play in them even when fitted professionally.......I have no experience with any of the other ones that you

MyBoyPuck 05-11-2013 06:40 PM

If you are really good at keeping up on trimming your horse's hooves, the gloves would probably work for you. Those fit, (duh) like a glove. That being said, for people who's horses go 4 or 5 weeks without a touchup, they stop fitting.

They make a fit kit you can get for about $15. You measure the hoof and they send you that shell, plus one size bigger and one smaller so you can see what really fits before you spend big bucks. They are a pain to put on, but it sounds like they might be worth it for your situation.

greentree 05-11-2013 06:55 PM

Have you considered Renegades? They seem to hold up great for my friend and her many miles....mine are new, and I have used them 5 or 6 rides and drives, and I am pleased!!

Nancy

NorthernMama 05-11-2013 06:59 PM

If you go with the gloves, get the fit kit. I didn't and regretted it. The ones I got didn't fit my horse and now I'm stuck with them. When I go shopping again, I'm going to look at something with buckles.

spirit88 05-11-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 2487041)
Have you considered Renegades? They seem to hold up great for my friend and her many miles....mine are new, and I have used them 5 or 6 rides and drives, and I am pleased!!

Nancy

Iv looked at renegades website they wouldn't work right now my horses have under run heels. Iam working on fixing that but not quit there yet iam trimming a little every week right now.

Just did some trimming today bring heels back a 1/4 inch a week there pretty bad. Iam a bit sore from this trimming thing.

spirit88 05-11-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 2486913)
If you are really good at keeping up on trimming your horse's hooves, the gloves would probably work for you. Those fit, (duh) like a glove. That being said, for people who's horses go 4 or 5 weeks without a touchup, they stop fitting.

They make a fit kit you can get for about $15. You measure the hoof and they send you that shell, plus one size bigger and one smaller so you can see what really fits before you spend big bucks. They are a pain to put on, but it sounds like they might be worth it for your situation.

Iv been on horse.com don't see where they offer a fit kit. I trim them a little bit each week to keep them short.

To much work if I let them go more then two weeks so yes their feet are kept trimmed up easier on my back.

Trinity3205 05-11-2013 10:06 PM

My top picks in order would be Renegades, Gloves and then Back Countrys which are built on a glove. I also like Edge's.

I do not like Old Macs, Cavellos, Epics (due to buckle issues the edges are the same boot with a different tightening system)

walkinthewalk 05-11-2013 10:24 PM

Make sure the boots fit the horse; not all styles work on every horse:-(

I had a Barefoot trimmer size two of my horses and it was a good thing -- I would have messed that up royally, left to my own devices:-(

I have one horse that can wear the Gloves and they fit him like gloves.

There is no way this side of Hades and back Gloves will work for the other horse.

The other horse was fitted for EasyCare's Boa's. The Old Macs fit him but the arthritis in my hands wouldn't let me work the clamps. The Boa's have dials and I can work those much better.

The horse with the Boa's is the one that foundered so bad last year. He went out to a pasture every day in those Boas and part pads. They fit him just snug enough to where his hooves weren't slopping around in them. They accidentally turned out to be the best recovery boots I could have asked for.

As far as too much slop from the standpoint of founder recovery, I did try a new pair of Cavallos. They were so "un-snug", they literally set my horse's recovery time back by about five days. Based on that experience I would never buy them for trail riding, although some folks swear by them.

If you decide you like EasyCare, I would call the 800 number and talk to their Customer Reps. Those gals are fantastic and will patiently ask you the right questions and walk you thru everything you need to know about each boot style you might be interested in.

I didn't realize how lucky I was to have the Boa's fit Joker and also workable for my hands, until he foundered and I needed them for his recovery.

Hope this helps:-)

spirit88 05-11-2013 10:37 PM

So do easy boot edges hold up good on rocky rough ground? Fit wise will the under run heels cause fit issues?

Iam working on the heels but need to take them back slow so no overnight fix here plus flaring issues. So that's what these wonderful farriers left me with worst part is they thought their work was great.