The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   too little space? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/too-little-space-19124/)

Jubilee Rose 12-10-2008 09:28 PM

too little space?

Hi guys, I need your opinions. Because of the winter and all the snow here, I've found it hard to ride in our outdoor riding arena because the ground is so uneven. Jubilee gets kind of crazy in it because she hates the big snow drifts and just wants to get out of them. So I've been riding in the little area in front of the barn, where the ground is harder and there isn't a lot of snow. It's kind of slopey, but its gradual. My question is, is the area too small for me to work her in? I'd say its probably a bit larger than a 20-metre circle. I know that cantering is out of the question. But would this be too much strain on her joints if I'm working her in this space? I've lunged her in this space before and it seems fine. Actually... its probably the size of a small round pen. What do you guys think?

*Also, if the ground gets too hard and slippery there, I will not be riding there.

Thanks! :-)

onetoomany 12-10-2008 09:45 PM

I'd say for light riding you'd be fine, especially if you mix up riding in circles with cutting through the center, lateral work etc. If your horse is in good working condition, knows how to bend and all that good stuff I can't see a problem with it.

BeauReba 12-10-2008 10:06 PM

20m is fine for light riding. It's better than not riding all winter!

Jubilee Rose 12-11-2008 08:22 PM

Thanks guys! :wink:

onetoomany - Yes, I would definitely be doing some lateral work across the centre. Thanks.

BeauReba - Very true!

smrobs 12-12-2008 08:38 PM

Yea, since your horse is fully grown, it won't hurt to work her in the smaller pen at slower speeds. That is a good time to work on responsiveness, leg yields, soft cues, etc. Although, you probably usually do that anyway. Sorry, I usually ride mostly trail and only work on something if I notice my horse being sluggish to a cue.

Jubilee Rose 12-12-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 210423)
Yea, since your horse is fully grown, it won't hurt to work her in the smaller pen at slower speeds. That is a good time to work on responsiveness, leg yields, soft cues, etc. Although, you probably usually do that anyway. Sorry, I usually ride mostly trail and only work on something if I notice my horse being sluggish to a cue.

Don't be sorry. :-P That was very helpful. Thank you! And you're right, it does help me to focus on little things that are important. Like stopping, backing, bending, etc. Obviously I can still do those in a bigger arena, but in a smaller space, I feel I can work a little at a time. :-)