The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How much Beet Pulp (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-much-beet-pulp-19142/)

minihorse927 12-11-2008 12:53 AM

How much Beet Pulp

Ok, starting to feed my mare her beet pulp and I am not the best with math figuring. Mu question is how much beet pulp should I feed my 1000lb mustang mare to put a little weight back on her? She eats 2lbs essential k and 1/2 bale of hay, about 30 pounds of hay each day. She is also turned out about 12 hours each day so whatever grass she can find. I am waiting to have her teeth floated as was stated in a earlier post and am at the max I can feed for the ration balancer and adding more hay to her diet is not getting the job done.

How much should I feed per day dry weight to get her to gain maybe 50 or so pounds back on her topline and ribs. Please give me dry weight or I will never figure out how to covert the wet weight back to dry weight, that would be a trial and error with water and beet pulp everywhere for me, LOL.

QtrHorse 12-11-2008 03:47 AM

It sounds like she is getting enough right now. Just make sure that putting on her weight is a slow and steady process.
I am not aware of using beet pulp as a supplement. I thought it was not the best choice for horses. I am curious if lots of people use beet pulp as when I asked my feed supplier, he made a call to a professional nutrionist who answered an emphatic no. Anyone?

Peggysue 12-11-2008 06:43 AM

9 cups of dry weight is a lb ... I would start with 2 cups per feeding and build to about 2 lbs or 18 cups per feeding ....

QH: just do a search for Beet pulp and horse lots of good stuff comes up ... lb for lb it is about the same calories as oats without the sugars and starches

Appyt 12-11-2008 08:42 AM

QTRhorse - I asked my feed supplier, he made a call to a professional nutrionist who answered an emphatic no.

I would assume that Nutritionist works for a feed company.. Not exactly unbiased. On to the question tho.. Many senior feeds are based on Beet pulp and/or Alfalfa.. It makes a great substitute for forage when that is either unavailable or the horse cannot chew/digest the hay.

minihorse927 12-12-2008 01:02 AM

ok now one more question. I always wanted to feed this to my stallion who is prone to ulcers because I was always told it was great for ulcer prone horses. How much can I feed to a 220lb miniature who eats 1 flake AM and PM and 1/2lb essential k AM and PM. I am assuming one pound dry weight is about right from what I have heard in miniatures. I have tried feeding it to him before but it was the molasses free kind and he wouldn't touch it, now I gave him a couple small handfulls of it tonight and he gobbled it up and wanted more! This one has molasses in it though, so that is probably why he likes it so much.

Peggysue 12-12-2008 08:21 AM

1lb is 9 cups and that is prob about right

watch the mini's weight on it though ... mine gang gains weight on beet pulp !!

Peggysue 12-12-2008 09:14 AM

I woudlprob go less then that after some thought... 9 cups is alot of food for a mini... LOL think more along the lines of maybe 3 cups per feeding

minihorse927 12-13-2008 03:46 AM

ok I will try it...if you remember back to the whole mini with ulcers thing, you will remember he is a HARD keeper. I wish he was more like my one mare, she looks at food and puffs up! He could eat me out of house and home and still be skinny as a rail. The ration balancer has helped out tons on him though, at least he does not look like he is being starved anymore, buy definitely could use a few more pounds. I will start him out and go up to 3 cups and try that for a while and see what happens.

Peggysue 12-13-2008 08:18 AM

LOL I wish I could remember them alll... it's ton though I do an average of about five diet helps a day ... so they all tend to run together sorry

if he is a harder keeper you can go up to about 3lbs a day in addition to all the hay he will eat ;)

LMW 12-13-2008 08:49 AM

We feed beet pulp at our barn, and I find it reallly helps keep weight on. Usually for our feed we do what is called a sprinkle which is a very light covering over the feed in the bucket. The sprinkle would probably amount to 3 cups or so.

Like a above poster said its a slow and steady process. I wouldnt change her grain for at least a week or two in order to see how it affects her. We also have horses that have ulcers and usually I feed them the beet pulp and there is no problems. Hope it helps!