The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Old Saddle Refurbishing :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/old-saddle-refurbishing-191481/)

Brenna Lee 05-11-2013 11:34 PM

Old Saddle Refurbishing :)

3 Attachment(s)
I got my hands on this gem in disguise for 50.00! I will be updating with photos as I go along.
Tree is in excellent shape.

I will be replacing the seat, and flocking. Which includes tons of stitch work. :D It might take a while but I'll get her done.

Finished Dis-assembly today, ready to go get materials and thread!

Nokotaheaven 05-12-2013 03:21 AM

Can't wait to see it finished! :D

Saddlebag 05-12-2013 08:35 AM

Western saddles are refleeced, not reflocked. Have fun picking out the old stitching. However much a car mechanic charges that will give you an idea of how costly your repair work would be times the hours. This is a good way to learn saddle construction and how the majority of repairs involves a lot of labor.

Brenna Lee 05-12-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2491409)
Western saddles are refleeced, not reflocked. Have fun picking out the old stitching. However much a car mechanic charges that will give you an idea of how costly your repair work would be times the hours. This is a good way to learn saddle construction and how the majority of repairs involves a lot of labor.

The stitching wasn't too bad actually. ;) And I have access to a leather industrial machine that will sew it right up for me! Just need the fleece and thread now. ;)

Brenna Lee 05-12-2013 03:47 PM

Got the seat leather! Going to pick up some black dye today!

Sharpie 05-12-2013 03:59 PM

MOAR PICTURES! :D This is so cool- I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Saddlebag 05-12-2013 03:59 PM

Brenna, have you worked with leather dye before? Black is notorious for coming off on clothing no matter how well you try to remove the excess. I make my own dye for this and it doesn't come off. Can the industrial machine be adjusted to sew in the original holes?

nvr2many 05-12-2013 04:01 PM

I also cannot wait. Seeing it apart like that scares me to death! I cannot look when my car is worked on either. Freaks me out when it is all apart!

Brenna Lee 05-12-2013 04:04 PM

Yes, i can adjust the stitch length. And I'm aware of the black dye issue, I have a whole shop of chemicals and things if elbow grease doesn't work to get the dye from staining, also have access to finishing glazes if need be. And I'll take some more pictures in a few minutes with the good camera.

Brenna Lee 05-12-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 2493809)
I also cannot wait. Seeing it apart like that scares me to death! I cannot look when my car is worked on either. Freaks me out when it is all apart!

Hehe! I will be filling in the old staple and nail holes as well and possibly wrapping the tree with fiberglass If I feel like. Discovered that I have to re-do one of the copper rivets on the front D-ring. And its fairly simple to put back together once the leather pieces are all set.