The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Picking up feet issue! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/picking-up-feet-issue-191593/)

Fish99 05-12-2013 03:45 AM

Picking up feet issue!

Our mare that we've had for about a year or so (I don't really remember >_<) she don't pick up her feet. When she does she'll strike it, it makes it hard to figure out if the reason why she's refusing to move is an object lodged in her hoof. Actually I've never been able to look at the bottom of her hoof since we've owned her. I know the woman who used to ride her, and many of you would tell me to ask her but I am not no member of a fancy barn she isn't either. I can't drive, the only time I could probably talk to her is if I went to the bar, (I'm quite welcomed there even at my age.) I will not: tie a rope to her foot to lift it, I will not lunge her because I don't have my whip yet, I will not hit her hoof, and anything else that this 7 or 8 foot abused mare would kick at. BTW she's only 4. If anyone has any helpful hints, tips, or advice that I could use to be able to pick her hoof I would greatly appreciate it.

Phly 05-12-2013 03:56 AM

I don't lounge with a whip (typically), a knot doesn't have to be tied to lift a hoof, and preconseaved opinions and assumptions are not healthy.

Time is your friend here. Your mare won't learn tomorrow.

What does your mare know? Ride? Lead? Never been handled? It all starts back at the beginning. After a year if ownership has she been trimmed at all? If so, by whom and how? What else has been done in that year?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish99 05-12-2013 04:08 AM

Well

She knows how to lead she is actually a follow the leader horse, because the woman who used to ride her actually took her for trail rides. But whenever I try to ride her in our pen she only wants to walk and trot but with the oh so scary crop she will get to a fast trot. Therefore I do not ride her, I ride my beautiful baby boy, who is trained and beautiful. She's beautiful too, just a pasture pet. And I don't like those that's why I'm going to start lunging her and stuff. But I really need to get her feet up and check. Because she's real fat and probably preger's that why I use my crop because I don't want to kick if she is. We don't have to trim our horses the rock pit does that for us

loosie 05-12-2013 08:52 AM

Maybe I have the wrong idea, but it sounds like you're quite young, inexperienced & lacking any support? Can you find any experienced horse people in your area to help you?

Your horse's hooves may well 'self trim' adequately, but unless they're doing many miles, it generally doesn't happen enough, and even when they do, it pays to check/balance periodically because they can still become imbalanced. So it's definitely a task she needs to learn, but I probably don't need to tell you messing with hooves can be dangerous, especially with a cantankerous horse, especially if you're not sure what you're doing. If you elicit 'kicky' behaviour for eg & this works for her - she wins, you quit - this behaviour will get stronger. But of course, you must keep safety at the top of the list, so it can be far more dangerous to try to hang on. Catch 22. So I really suggest you find someone to train her for you if possible & teach you, leave her alone yourself for now and in the meantime, keep educating yourself about training.

While it sounds like it's probably about training - for you both - it's common for not wanting to go, pick up feet, etc to be pain related, so that needs to be explored too.

If she's 'preggers' I'd be giving preference to her training, to at least get her comfortable & compliant being handled. Firstly she & the foal may need veterinary attention, which she needs to be prepared for, secondly, an unfriendly mare is far more likely to produce an unfriendly, untrusting foal.

Trinity3205 05-12-2013 07:36 PM

There are some things that are sometimes necessary to help a horse learn to lift its foot safely for you. You do sound inexperienced. There is a time and place for using a rope to help the horse learn to give to pressure and a way to use it so you dont get hurt and the horse doesn't either. Get hands on good help is my suggestion. You may find the horse already knows how but your leadership/experience is lacking and the horse is taking advantage of you.

Farmchic 05-12-2013 07:44 PM

I've taught several of my horses to lift their feet by using a very soft rope to help me lift the hoof off the ground and keep me at a safe distance. I don't see a problem with it if it is done correctly.