The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   barrel racing bits (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racing-bits-191753/)

coltrule 05-12-2013 02:26 PM

barrel racing bits

What bit do ya'll use? I'm lookin for a bit for my mare who is almost 5 years old, she is pretty soft, n stops good. She rans in a snaffle or reg grazing curb bit. She does good in almost everything, so i'm trying to figoure out a good bit to use, the bit i was using was a curb with roller, n it was a good bit, loved it, Lolly did good in it, but noticed it started rubbing her mouth on the side..to small I guess..idk, So need some ideas???? I'm thinkin of just runnin her in D ring snaffle? idk

GamingGrrl 05-12-2013 02:34 PM

I use a sweet iron jr cowhorse. It has a bit of leverage and has a really nice feel to it. It's nice for picking up a shoulder when you need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

coltrule 05-12-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 2493321)
I use a sweet iron jr cowhorse. It has a bit of leverage and has a really nice feel to it. It's nice for picking up a shoulder when you need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is for light mouthed horses?? she is light mouthed, but does need help with picking shoulder up better round turns, (right now she takes her first barrel perfect, n the next 2 barrels she takes 2 wide, so now i'm stopping at each barrel, n doing 2 circles round each one, so she'll learn to turn better, n stuff. I don't want a harsh bit for her, I'm not big on tomthumbs either.

GamingGrrl 05-12-2013 05:12 PM

Yes. My horse is very light mouthed. It's not like a Tom Thumb, but any bit with a "snaffle" mouth piece has the possibility of having a nutcracker like action on the palate.
Posted via Mobile Device

coltrule 05-12-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 2494393)
Yes. My horse is very light mouthed. It's not like a Tom Thumb, but any bit with a "snaffle" mouth piece has the possibility of having a nutcracker like action on the palate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay thanks! :) So when using it, just be careful on the hands, so u don't crack it, right? :wink: Thanks btw! I may end up getting it.

coltrule 05-12-2013 05:21 PM

If she can ride in a snaffle, n it never cracks up at all. She is pretty light mouthed, so I think this will bit work good :) Thanks so much!!!! :) sry double post lol

GamingGrrl 05-12-2013 05:22 PM

Yep, if you have light hands you shouldn't have a problem at all. They even make French link ones so that eliminates the problem all together, I'm actually on the look out for one now after learning how much my horse loves a three piece mouth piece.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-12-2013 07:04 PM

I ride my trainers gelding that I run in a single jointed butterfly bit and he works great in it. I also second the jr cowhorse bits though, several different mouth piece choices I used to ride my Arab in a double jointed with roller short shank jr cowhorse and he did very well in it even though he was a huuge hot head haha.

SorrelHorse 05-13-2013 03:07 AM

For clarification the nutcracker action is not only it pressing in at triangle shape on the palate, but also pinching the tongue between the single joint on the bit.

I second the jr. cowhorse but I would suggest the one with the copper rollers instead. That is what I run my mare in and have had excellent success with it on soft mouthed horses.

Jr Cow Horse Bit #349 Reinsman (Supplies Tack - Bits - Working)

coltrule 05-13-2013 08:24 AM

Thanks guys!!!!!!

@ SorrelHorse, yes, i'm gonna try n get a jr cowhorse bit with the copper n roller. - Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Junior Cow Horse Roller Dog Bone Gag Bit