The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Another Saddle fit question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/another-saddle-fit-question-19184/)

free_sprtd 12-11-2008 09:03 PM

Another Saddle fit question

10 Attachment(s)
I was inspired lol from Vida's post. Sorry the pics aren't the best, but how does this saddle look? To me it looks super small, but any bigger and it would go too far back. We are just starting to work with the saddle consistently, so I dont' have any history on pain or anything, but from the short amount of time that we have used it, he hasn't shown any pain... nothing besides annoyance :wink: any opinions are appreciated. It's just a cheap saddle I picked up at a tack show for training, so hope it will work.

Some without a pad and some with. And the last one is just for fun :)

luvs2ride1979 12-11-2008 09:07 PM

Love that last picture ;-).

It looks like a good fit! I;d like to see it about 1-1.5" further back (pad is in a good spot though), and pull the pad up into the pommel more, so it'd off her withers.

BeauReba 12-11-2008 09:12 PM

I also think it could go a smidgen back - but if it were any longer it would be too long for her back. Are there weird sweat marks on her back after you've exercised her?

free_sprtd 12-11-2008 09:41 PM

well I guiltily have not worked him long enough to sweat anywhere but the chest and belly. ill have to work a bit more to see. I thought it was too far forward, but wasn't sure. If I push it back any further though, then would the cinch sit too far back, or is it ok that it isn't right up under the armpits?

BeauReba 12-11-2008 10:02 PM

No, the cinch should be good. I think the cinch is actually to far forward in some photos. You should be able to put a hand's width (approx 10cm or 4") between the horse's leg and the girth. Most people do up the girth too far forward (I'm also guilty of it!)

free_sprtd 12-11-2008 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok that's good to know! because in this photo, i thought it was too far back, but it might be good too? thanks for the info I feel a lot better!

BeauReba 12-11-2008 10:17 PM

No that looks about right! When you put your saddle on, put it on above the withers and "wiggle" it back into place. The girth, ideally, hangs straight down and doesn't have to be angled forward or backward.

free_sprtd 12-11-2008 10:19 PM

ok cool thanks!

luvs2ride1979 12-11-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free_sprtd (Post 209869)
ok that's good to know! because in this photo, i thought it was too far back, but it might be good too? thanks for the info I feel a lot better!

Yup, looks good and it looks like it's in a better position on his back too in that last photo. CUTE boy!

free_sprtd 12-12-2008 12:38 AM

thanks guys!!!!