The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Geese and more geese. (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/geese-more-geese-191857/)

Foxhunter 05-12-2013 06:20 PM

Geese and more geese.

Last year we bought six goslings to help keep the grass down in the chicken paddocks. Worked well. One chose to die, another we sold, so down to one gander and three geese.
Lovely eggs, hatched some in the incubator about 7 weeks ago, a second batch three weeks ago and one of the original geese hatched eight.

I have dogs. These dogs work for their keep. The terriers in keeping the rats down and the Border Collie for the sheep, a Labrador needed a home (the only job she does is clearing the floor of any crumbs) and a GSD.

As the geese grew so they have become more feisty. The gander is called Cuddles because every time he went for me I would grab him and humiliate him by cuddling him. Baldy can also be nasty but Blue Eyes is friendly and never nasty - until the chicks hatched out.

Now the free ranging geese, including the first incubator hatchlings, have free range of the orchard. It never ceases to make me laugh if one of the dogs ventures into the area. They seem to like the GSD best of all, they only have to se her and heads go down, necks straight and feathers ruffled and they go into attack. The GSD will move out the way but they will follow her and she will scream if they get within 5 yards of her.

I will try to get pictures of the event which is very regular.

Skyseternalangel 05-12-2013 08:50 PM

That sounds so amazing haha! Pictures are a must

Aggs 05-13-2013 11:32 PM

Ugh! I dis-like geese very much! They're a stupid nuisance!

Glad you're enjoying them though.

Foxhunter 05-14-2013 02:23 AM

AGGS` - I can never understand why people call someone who is not very smart, 'Bird brained' Birds are anything but stupid!

These geese are great entertainment. Yes, they hiss when anyone goes near the mama and babies and threaten but that is their job, to protect.

The bigger youngsters are free range but do not mix with the older birds. I moved their sleeping place from a cage to an empty stable Sunday night. Last night they went straight into the correct place.
The young ones incubator hatched will follow us around and at night go straight to the kennel where they sleep.

Mama is apart from the other three. They divide off when it is bed time. Easy to get to bed.

In the afternoon when I come up to the house to feed the dogs, they will wander up and wait outside chattering away until I feed them a slice of bread. Watching them chase the dogs off the bread is so funny, they can even chase the dogs from their food. Cesar Milan would be proud of their dog training abilities because the dogs will just drop their meat and move.

Of all farmyard fowl geese seem to be the most intelligent by a mile.

I will try to get some pictures today.

Aggs 05-14-2013 08:18 PM

Foxhunter, birds in fact are very stupid. They have a very low IQ

Foxhunter 05-15-2013 11:46 AM

I disagree Aggs. The crow is more intelligent than most dog,s pigs and chimps. It is a logical thinker, solves very intricate problems which none of the above can solve.

A parrot I owned never said 'Hello' when someone was leaving, he had the correct word of 'Bye' He would come out with sentences that he had not been taught as such - always used in the right way.

Another African Grey parrot belonging to a friend saw me for the first time and said "Who are you?" I stayed with that friend for two nights. A year later I returned and when I walked in he studied me for a moment or two and then said "Hey, its Linda, she's back again." that was after a year and only seeing me briefly for four meetings.
If that is not intelligence then I do not know what you class as brains.

RitzieAnn 06-27-2013 01:13 PM

I agree that you need pictures :)

We have 2. One male, one female. She is older by a few years. He was purchased from a feedstore & Just turned 1 this spring. Recently they tried hatching eggs (all were spoiled) HE kept stealing the eggs from the broody duck when she would get up for a drink. He weighs too much & kept breaking them :( We purchased some ducklings, and he (Boris) gets really upset when I do things with them. Really upset. They don't parent the ducklings, but when the ducklings are bothered by something, the geese come over & Boris gets upset until I leave the babies alone :) Geese are pretty awesome indeed