The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   worming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/worming-1919/)

olivia 05-18-2007 12:35 PM

worming

how often should horses be dewormed? sorry, i have not had much experience with horses and my father just bought one and I wanted to help him with the horse because i love horses though i dont knw how to take care or one yet, but im trying to learn everything i need to know.

olivia 05-18-2007 01:05 PM

if anyone has any suggestions on anything else at all that woul;d help me with anything i should know about what to do with taking care of him or anything, please just let me know

hanse004 05-18-2007 01:30 PM

Usually a horse needs to be wormed every 6 to 12 weeks but I've heard of people worming once a month. Check out this website
http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse-tr...-care-info.htm
There are all kinds of things you can read about. The articles are usually very helpful. Also, I would suggest going to the book store and buying books about horse care. It will help you get a better understanding of it. Hope this helps and good luck!

Colby

TxHorseMom 05-18-2007 02:28 PM

A lot of it depends on your area, and how many horses you own. (or should I say are on the facility.) We live in TX and worm our horses every 6 weeks year around. In the northern states, they can forgo worming (or at least cut waaaay back) in the winter months. There are also daily wormers, but with 23 horses it's pretty expensive for us. Be sure to rotate wormers. We usually rotate with Ivermectin, Fenbenzadole, and Pyrantyl Pamoate (sp) although there are others out there. I generally use the generic (if I can find it) and I order it through Country Supply. or Jeffers. They tend to have the lowest prices. I just got in 90 tubes of wormer last month. I try to buy in bulk so I don't run out. You could always call your vet and ask how often they recommend worming for your area.

DesertGal 05-18-2007 09:26 PM

I recommend you ask your vet.

I rotate with Ivermectin, Fenbendazole (which I may stop as many worms have become immune to it :( ,) and Pyrantel. I de-worm every 8 weeks.

A lot depends on how your horse is kept. Is he/she out with others? If so, you might want to do daily de-worming... Each area has different problems, also depends on where your hay comes from... Lots of stuff. I called my vet when I first got a horse, and asked for suggestions. You don't have to pay, just talk to the assistant, or whoever answers the phone, they usually know. Also if you have a vet. supply store, they can help out, as can a feed store.

You can also google equine worming or equine de-worming and come up with lots of sites. I prefer to ask the local vet though as different areas of the country have different problems.

olivia 05-19-2007 12:37 PM

thank you for all your replies. really helps.