The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Treatments To Prevent Ticks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/treatments-prevent-ticks-192234/)

FlipFlopTipTop 05-13-2013 10:48 AM

Treatments To Prevent Ticks

I wondering about different treatments for ticks, mainly preventing them. I went out yesterday and pulled about 20 off one of my horses, all right under his face. I heard this year is going to be really bad and this is just the start of it. They are out on 160 acres lots of it being bush and tall grass so lots of those suckers out there.
Ive seen spot on type treatments but havent heard of anyone around here being able to get it or using it (were in Canada)
What do you guys do to prevent ticks?

Also I noticed he had some areas where it was like crusty yellow puss, very small though. Pointed it out to the BO and she said its most likely from the tick bites. Where I found all the ticks biting there was crusty yellow too. My other gelding never had this and this is the first year with this horse. Is it just his body's way of trying to get rid of them and not let him bite on long enough or should I be worried?? Its nothing big or oozing, just the small area around where the tick actually latched on.

Freemare 05-13-2013 11:24 AM

You need to use fly spray that for ticks. You have to spray it on good. The yellow is most likely the body dealing with the ticks. There is also things the yellow could be.

Joe4d 05-13-2013 12:55 PM

mow the dang pasture.

huntergirl84 05-13-2013 01:16 PM

Mowing your pasture regularly is definitely a great way to reduce tick abundance. If you or someone you know is experienced with performing prescribed burns, you might also consider doing those annually, but definitely something you need experience with before just trying on your own! I am not aware of anything you can put on the horses to prevent the ticks from biting. However, you should definitely perform daily tick checks if possible and propery remove any ticks you find (grasp as close to the skin as possible and pull straight out---some fine-tipped tweezers might help and be worth it with the number of ticks you are finding!)---if you can do that then you should be able to prevent most tick-borne pathogens from being transmitted to your horse as most require 24-48 hours of tick attachment to be transmitted. After removing a tick, you may wipe the site of attachment down with some type of antibacterial scrub---betadine, hydrogen peroxide, etc. It is a very small wound essentially so can get infected, etc. The yellow stuff you mentioned is probably nothing to worry about, but does probably indicate that it could use a rub down with something like this.

FlipFlopTipTop 05-13-2013 04:41 PM

There is no chance at all of burning or mowing. its 160 acres of untouched land.. its not like its cleared and can be turned into hay or something.
Ive heard of the spot on stuff like you can get for dogs but a friend on Fb just said she tried it here last year and to honestly save my money.
Right now Im only out there about twice a week so I cant do daily removal. Normally they are at home but we had a bit of an emergency over winter and they had to be moved. Also no one has extra hay left around here and our pasture isnt large enough to have them just on the little grass thats out there now. Were letting the grass grow a bit, building more fence and then they are coming back home. Till then though there are boarded out on pasture.
Im pretty good at removing ticks so for now Ill be taking off any that I find when Im out. Just was thinking there might be something I could give them to help keep them off. would putting baby oil or vaseline in that area help at all? He just has so much hair under his face and they seem to be collecting there.

PaintHorseMares 05-13-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 2500418)
mow the dang pasture.

This. The best tick prevention.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlipFlopTipTop 05-16-2013 11:40 PM

Bumping this back up as I have a question regarding this.

The barn owner called today saying under his jaw has been getting worse. She did a hibitane wash on the areas that were the worst. She put a bit of bactine on after. Im heading out first thing tomorrow to check on him and take out all my medical stuff to see what would be best. If its bad then the vet will be called out. I did some digging and found that some horses can have bad reactions to ticks. Also contacted his previous owner asking if hes had reactions in the past, still waiting on a reply. This is my first spring owning him and Ive NEVER had a horse react to ticks like him.
Im wondering though, would it be smart to body clip him or atleast clip the areas affected or would it make it worse and easier for them to latch on? We had a really long winter and hes not fully shedded yet, still has some longer hairs throughout him and hes pretty hairy on the underside of his face. Other horses also are like this, so its not like hes the only one.
Ive been searching for things to use for preventing ticks. Looked into that spot on stuff but I havent been able to get it ordered in from anywhere and a friend even said its honestly not even worth it. Some one suggested using a sock and dusting them with Diatomaceous Eart (Red Lake Earth is another name it goes by) Has anyone used this before for ticks? Ive heard of it being used on dogs for fleas and actually had customers ask me to bring it in when I managed a petstore but we were never able to get it shipped to us.

2BigReds 05-17-2013 12:11 AM

Would smearing SWAT work? Also I treat my guy with Freedom 45 spot on, not sure if you have that available to you but it seems to at least keep the number of bites down a bit. Still find one or two here and there, though.

Also, what about bug spray with Deet? Is it safe for horses? I have a terrible time with mosquitoes, and I mean TERRIBLE. If there's a single mosquito within 100 mile radius of me, I'll get bitten. Deet bug spray in any percentage will keep them off me no problem, though. It also lasts longer than any fly spray I've ever used/seen used. Works for ticks and other blood suckers, too.

FlipFlopTipTop 05-17-2013 12:32 AM

I do have swat and he will most likely be getting it applied tomorrow depending how it looks. Havent heard of freedom 45 spot on, Ill have to ask my tack stores. I know we looked into other spot on treatments last year and couldnt find anything.

Right now I have Flicks fly spray from last year. Its all natural but Ill have to check if it covers ticks. Was planning on taking all that stuff out too. If it doesnt cover ticks Ill be stopping in at the tack store to pick up something that does.
Were thinking about garlic too. Ive heard you can feed it to them (Not sure how much) and some one mentioned giving him a bath with a mixture of vinegar/garlic and dawn dish soap. Also read some where to apply or wash him with neem oil.

Phly 05-17-2013 12:41 AM

Garlic is a funny thing. It does work. But regular ole powdered garlic does not work. Real garlic, none of my horses will eat, and trust me they'll eat just about anything. The only garlic treatment I've used that worked was garleze. It works. Is it an end all/ cure all?, no. But it does help.
Posted via Mobile Device