The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Will she be black? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/will-she-black-192354/)

haleycrew4 05-13-2013 12:48 PM

Will she be black?

7 Attachment(s)
Hello there, our sweet baby Pistol was born a week ago. Mom is a black grade quarter mare and dad is a black AQHA Smoke N Black is his name, he has Doc Bar and Poco Bueno on top & bottom Smoke N Black Quarter Horse. Pistol is our first baby so we are new at all of this breeding stuff and I am just starting to research color and genetics. Anyway, here are a few pictures of our little Pistol Annie, will she shed out to be black or is her color now maybe an indication she could be a smokey black or anything else? No we haven't had mom tested and I haven't asked what he has been tested for. The last picture is dad. His first foal of this year was born about a month ago was to a black mare and baby came out dark bay with four white socks and a blaze and last year he was bred to a red & white paint mare and baby was a black & white paint. What do you all think?

texasgal 05-13-2013 12:52 PM

Looks like it .. she's really cute.

kenda 05-13-2013 01:02 PM

If he had a bay foal, than either sire or dam is not actually black. Could be a very very dark bay. As for your baby, looks like a black. For him to be a smoky black he would have to have a cream carrying parent (ie one of his parents would have to also be a smoky black (or buckskin, palomino, cremello, perlino, smoky cream))

From your pictures, neither looks it, so I would suggest the lightness of baby's coat is just foal coat and he will shed out black.

smrobs 05-13-2013 01:51 PM

Yes, I'd say that baby is going to be black. Providing that both mom and dad are black and not a really dark brown or hiding some other modifier, then the resulting foal would either be black or chestnut (depending on the zygosity of the parents).

Peppy Barrel Racing 05-13-2013 05:34 PM

Definitely black.
Posted via Mobile Device