The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Verbal Signals (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/verbal-signals-192418/)

HorseCourage 05-13-2013 02:38 PM

Verbal Signals

I was wondering what everyone's verbal signals for their horses were? Like right now when i cluck to my mare it means trot, when i kiss it means canter. Etc. I want to get my horse more use to subtle verbal cues so that I can use less leg and hand motion.

jaydee 05-13-2013 02:46 PM

I always start my horses on the lunge to understand verbal cues before I get on them and then use those cues as cues to leg aids. No magic buttons on a horses side - I don't want to be kicking the crap out of a horse to make it go forward so 'walk on' a gentle squeeze and eventually the horse understands that the squeeze means go forward and you can stop using the actual word - same with 'whoa' etc - teach it from the ground first and then no hauling on the reins
I'm not a fan of clucking/clicking/kissing noises as people are too inclined to use them in the showring or even out on group trail rides or hunter paces/Fun rides and I don't want my horses shooting off when they hear someone else making that noise.

SlideStop 05-13-2013 03:02 PM

Cluck for trot. Kiss for canter. All downward transitions are words. Trotttt. Wallllk. Whoa. Easy when they gets to excited, slowwwww when I'm trying to get a slow jog or lope.

All my verbals are followed up with some light type of seat/leg/rein aide. I always make my verbal ques quiet, the whole world doesn't need to know I'm verbally communicating with my horse. I can't stand a crazy smoocher!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 05-13-2013 03:14 PM

SHort video of my riding instructor teaching verbal ques.

HorseCourage 05-14-2013 09:09 AM

thanks for the input:)

PaintHorseMares 05-14-2013 09:16 AM

We teach all the verbal cues that folks have mentioned, but to be honest, when you have a horse that is very light (mouth, leg, seat) I find those are just quicker and you have finer control.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseCourage 05-14-2013 01:08 PM

thanks !

Corporal 05-14-2013 01:44 PM

I teach them English cues along with physical cues. I've never been a fan of "clucking". How does your horse distinguish on cluck from two, or between two kinds of clucks? I can only make a "cluck" on way...and my chickens haven't seen fit to teach me their different kinds of clucks.
Seriously, I use "walk on", "halt" or "whoa", "back", and..."trot", and..."canter", "and...walk", etc.

HorseCourage 05-15-2013 09:37 AM

It seems to me like my mare more responds to the tone of vioce ? (is this true or am i imagining it?) Like if I say walk and trot in the same tone, she usually walks instead of trots. So I am beginning to think that she doesnt hear the words as much as she hears the tone?

Saddlebag 05-16-2013 06:51 PM

My mare had no idea what clucking meant so if someone at a show crowded us in the ring I'd cluck and their horse/s would speed up, costing them the class.