The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Chomp Chomp Chomp that bit is ever so Yummy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/chomp-chomp-chomp-bit-ever-so-192434/)

HorseCourage 05-13-2013 02:42 PM

Chomp Chomp Chomp that bit is ever so Yummy?

So my mare, no matter what bit I have her in for either english or western ALWAYS chomps on her bit. Right now I have her in a regular sized snaffle for both English and Western. I've had people check the bit in her mouth to make sure it fits right and it does, they said it is a perfect size. But she still always chews on it. Is there anyways to get her to stop this? In the show ring it is embarassing to me when the judge walks up to us and she is chomping away at her bit

Saranda 05-13-2013 03:40 PM

When is the last time her teeth were floated by an equine dentist?

Eolith 05-13-2013 03:43 PM

I have more or less the exact same problem, so I'll be interested to see the input you get.

(My mare's teeth were professionally checked and floated 3 months ago -- everything was just fine, so that's not the problem for her.)

smrobs 05-13-2013 04:13 PM

In my experience, certain types of horses generally begin to chomp at the bit relatively early in their training if they aren't handled just exactly right. If the rider is in their mouth more than they are ready for or if they are ridden with harsher hands than necessary, that will often cause chomping. Another thing I've found that an intelligent horse that is understimulated will find ways to keep their mind active. Some will misbehave, some will chomp at the bit, others will pick up other habits.

My philosophy is: Keep their mind busy and their body tired.

HorseCourage 05-14-2013 09:07 AM

her teeth were floatd about 2 months ago and everything was fine. I'm always off of her mouth, a lot of the time i ride with extremly loose reins and just use leg cues. I only ride with a bridle half the time because it is a requirement at my barn and i use it to get her to slow down at times. I lunge her and ride her almost every day. we usually have a 2 hour work out that consists of at least 15 minutes of cantering non stop. (per my trainer's request). we do a lot of crcles, walk to trot. walk to canter to halt. I always include variety, but she continues to have this problem

oh vair oh 05-14-2013 09:13 AM

Have you tried lowering the bit in her mouth so that she's responsible for holding it herself? Or have you tried a sweet iron?

Horses still need to be able to "pack the bit" even on a draped rein. You could also try a simple noseband.

Otherwise I would just flex her side to side when she starts chomping like that to get the bit working the sides of her mouth and relaxing the jaw and poll.

HorseCourage 05-14-2013 09:15 AM

thanks ! I'll try that !

Casey02 05-14-2013 09:19 AM

My horse will do it when he is nervous

HorseCourage 05-14-2013 01:08 PM

she has never not chomped on the bit. It's like a bad habit. EVen if she is calm and relaxed she does it