The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Boarding Barn Issues (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/boarding-barn-issues-19250/)

MirrorStage2009 12-13-2008 06:07 PM

Boarding Barn Issues

What are some issues that are cause for you to move out of your boarding barn?

Do you address problems and hope they get resolved? Or do you expect them to get resolved?

free_sprtd 12-13-2008 06:47 PM

When I had problems at my barn, I just sort of didn't say anything, but I did start looking around for another barn in case i couldn't handle it anymore. After about a week of that, things started to change a little and it got better there, don't know why.

Spastic_Dove 12-13-2008 07:06 PM

I have had problems with people playing with my horses and not telling me or using my stuff. I make myself clear with what I am okay with and what I am not and if it doesn't get resolved, I move. I've only had to move once though thankfully.

BeauReba 12-13-2008 07:42 PM

Stealing my hay...! It was a DIY barn (just got a stall and that was it). Hay is too expensive to have stolen! And with 30 horses it's difficult to find out who's stealing.

MrsB 12-14-2008 02:38 AM

I personally havnt had to leave a property. but Ive had to ask a couple of people to leave my property.

They were stealing food, hay, water (I know that sounds silly but we're in the middle of a drought and have strict water usage requirements etc. They were filling up geri cans and taking them home for their own use). And moving horses around without permission.

Not to mention they also tresspassed (more than once) into our house, accused my dog of attacking them, and blamed the grass on the property for killing 2 of their horses (although they seemed to ignore the fact that the 18 other horses on the propery had never been sick, and that they were stealing food that their horses were'nt used to so there you go!)

Gosh I LOVE running a barn! :shock:

Haha, ok in all seriousness they're the only bad cases Ive come across. Touch wood!

starlinestables 12-16-2008 11:00 PM

I did a pasture board with stall option.. (I would clean it myself if I needed to bring my horse in.) My friend also boarded her 4 horses there and we were the only boarders. The owners had 3 horses and they owned 30 acres with 2 side paddocks next to the barn and 2 large pastures and one was next to the barn.

They never rode their horses and kept their horses next to the barn. We had to hike up a giant hill in the far back pasture to get ours. That we could deal with but the pasture our horses were in were next to their house and they would gripe that we walk our horses down the drive way which was a slightly less sloped. They wanted us to walk through the other pasture with their horses in it and their horses would try to attack our horses when we led them through.

It was a really nice place but they were really anal and stingy.

clover 12-17-2008 10:04 AM

I had to move out of a place once because I felt my horse was in danger. It is kind of a long story but here it is.
It was the beginning of January and I was going away for a weekend. I was at a full care stable and all I had to do was groom, ride, blanket, etc... Well, I had his sheet on because when we left it was cold, however it was a strange winter. I asked the BO if she could take it off it if got too hot. We got back on Sunday and it was this strange heat wave coming through, it was like in the low 60s (very strang for this area at that time). Well, I went straight to the barn to get that sheet off of him, in case she had not taken it off. I had also been teaching a few lessons at this barn and on my way through the barn, I stopped to talk to the person who had covered my lessons for me this weekend. While I was talking, my Husband came in and said that I needed to get out to the pasture quickly. He said that there were people chasing the horses with a ball, I thought that was extrememly strange, so I went out to check out what was going on. I saw one of the other boarders and teh BO's boyfriend out in the field with a beach ball throwing it at the horses. My horse included and he still had his sheet on! I yelled at them asking them what they were doing, they said they were PLAYING with the horses! WHAT!! I told them that I needed to get my horse immediatly. The BO boyfriend said "hold on I will chase him toward you". Before I could say anything, he throws the ball right at clover's butt and poor Clover goes running full speed from the end of the field toward the gate. I got in front of him and calmed him down, grabbed him and immediatly took him inside. His nostrals were huge, he was visably exhausted. I took his sheet off and he was foaming! I was almost in tears!!! It took me over an hour of hosing and walking him around the track to get him cooled down. As I was hosing my horse down in the wash stall, the boarder that was out there came up to me and asked if she could help. I said no, I did not want her touching my horse but she may want to think about checking on the other horses she was chasing around with a ball in unusually hot weather! Then when I was walking my horse around the track I saw her out there feeding all the other horses carrots! So, anyway, I chalked that up to ignorance and went to talk to the BO about it when I was done with Clover. I was sure she would tell me she did not know this was going on and appologize and say she would talk to them. Instead, she told me that they were playing with the horses and the horses liked it. I informed her that my horse did not like to be chased around the field with a beach ball and that I wanted no one doing anything with my horse but leading him to and from the field besides me! She still said she saw nothing wrong with it, so I gave my 30 day notice. Then, toward the end of the 30 days, she decided to stop feeding my horse. I was there every night and discovered that he was getting hay but no grain and this went on for 3 days. I ended up moving the next day (2 weeks early). I am fairly easy to get along with but enough is enough, I won't have him put in danger like this. What would have happened if I wasn't there? How many times had this happened when I was not there? I was furious! Anyway, I know it was a long story, but that is the reason I moved from that barn.

KR Classified Lady 12-17-2008 11:43 AM

Hello.
Some of the problems I have had with barns are things like getting to much hay, or not enough. Kids feeding the horses so grain is always messed up. Managers not keeping their word on things that are supposed to be done at the barn. Stalls not being cleaned everyday. Alot of communication problems between boarders and trainers or managers.
I ahve been to several different barns in the last 5 years and I just recently found one I really like where everyone seems to be ok.
I guess it just depends on what you can handle. The board for up around where i like is on average $700 per month. If im going to be paying that much, I expect things to be done right and have things be ok.
Chelsae

CJ82Sky 12-19-2008 12:53 PM

My biggest issue as an owner of a boarding barn is when people have a problem and don't give me the opportunity to address it and just leave. Aside from obvious issues such as if you're running out of hay, or the horses don't have water which to me should be basic and be handled regardless, without needing to be addressed, if someone has issues outside of that I can't make better what I don't know about.

If people don't tell me that they don't like what their horses are being fed, or they don't want their horse out if it's raining, I'm going to treat them the way I treat my horses. My horses go out in nearly all weather, and if they act like they want to come in, I'll bring them in (as well as any/all boarder horses that also want to come in). Of course if it's a really bad storm, I'll leave them in. But unless someone tells me that they don't want their horse out int he rain, no matter what, then move without telling me why, it's not helpful to either of us and tends to create a lot of frustration for no reason.

I'm a HUGE fan of communication!:D

Colorado Dobes 12-19-2008 03:04 PM

Once, I boarded my horse with this lady, and I was doing full care board, but we had agreed that she would let me work off some of my boarding fee by doing some work around the facility (cleaning stalls and stuff). It worked out great for a while, and I was able to work off about half of my fee, which was great because I was right out of college and wasn't making much money. I worked 8:00 to 5:00 and came over immediately after I got off work every day. Eventually she started coming down to the barn early and getting the work done before I had a chance so she could collect my entire fee. She never said a word about it. She also would leave my horse in his stall all day during the summer (in Mississippi where it's 95 degrees and humid in the summer) with no water or anything. She was supposed to come let him out in the mornings and put him up at night. He lost a lot of weight. We didn't stay there long.