The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Telling a Horse's Age (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/telling-horses-age-19255/)

katieandduke 12-13-2008 08:59 PM

Telling a Horse's Age

Do any of yall think you could tell a horse's age by photos of the teeth?? i know you can tell a horse's age by their teetch but noone i know knows how to do it and i dont want to pay a vet to see him just for that.. can anybody at least try?? if so what type of pics will i need to get.. i think this horse will be pretty cooperative as long as i can take the pics fast enough lol! but i will be going to the stables tomorrow and i will get the pics then so i need to know what angles and stuff to get! thanks for any help!

Appyt 12-13-2008 09:24 PM

There is a thread on this here with a few links that may help you.

I don't know if anyone can help you via pictures but I do know you will need pics of the bottom teeth(top of them) as well as a side shot. How old do you believe the horse to be?

appylover31803 12-13-2008 09:24 PM

I'm not sure, but I would think if you got a picture of the teeth, front view with the mouth closed and then a picture of the bottom teeth. Open the mouth and take it looking down on the top.

katieandduke 12-13-2008 09:38 PM

okay, its duke.. and there has been alot of contradicting onhis age.. about two years ago my barn owner and the owner of duke said he was about 11 then about a year later she said 16 so now she says 17.. so we are unsure about his age.. kevin, a guy that rides horses says he isnt over ten but im not sure and i really want to know. cuz my parents says he too old to do somethings i want to teach him to do.. i.e. barrel racing and jumping.. i think he isnt too old for either but i really want to know his age.. even if he is too old i will just take it slow and do it for fun cuz i would never sell that horse for anything! but ill try to remember to get some pics.. is there any way i can find out his age?? like what steps should i go through and/or what should i look for? thanks for you twos help!

BeauReba 12-13-2008 10:18 PM

If he's too old to do something he will let you know! As long as he's healthy and happy there's no reason to stop jumping or barrel racing.

katieandduke 12-13-2008 10:25 PM

thanks! that what i am trying to convince my parents with but yeah..it aint working... if i could have an exact estimate of his age than that will help!

appylover31803 12-13-2008 11:07 PM

I believe I read about a 32 year old gelding that was STILL competing in in endurance.

If you're not training to be a 1D barrel racer, then there's no harm in teaching it to him, same thing with jumping. I say go for it!

katieandduke 12-13-2008 11:34 PM

wat id 1d..i dont know all this deep stuff i just know the basics of somethings then the real deep stuff of others.lol..thanks again for all the help!

appylover31803 12-14-2008 12:28 AM

I do believe it's divison 1.. as in like pro barrel racers. They have to be a certain time, but I dont know it.

BeauReba 12-14-2008 01:33 AM

Why don't you get the vet to check next time he's out to do shots/check-up?