The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Limping after pulling a shoe. Is this normal? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/limping-after-pulling-shoe-normal-192666/)

barrelracer516 05-13-2013 09:17 PM

Limping after pulling a shoe. Is this normal?
 
I'm not sure where to post this so since my horse is a barrel horse then I'll just post it here.

My barrel horse Kyler threw all of his shoes ( in a matter of a couple days ) but one didn't come off so I pulled it off myself. I did it just how my farrier showed me incase I had to pull one off when he couldn't make it to the house. He started limping and that's why I decided it was time for me to take it off. He's still limping and it's been about two days since I pulled it. Is this normal or could he have an abscess?

I have a barrel race coming up and I've been having withdrawals from riding, but obviously I can't ride if he's lame. :(

beau159 05-14-2013 12:11 PM

I would either have your farrier look at him, or take him to your vet.

We can't physically see your horse over the internet. If you think there is a problem, call the vet.

Please I don't see why you would haul your horse to barrel race anyway, without your farrier re-shoeing him first???? (since that's what he's used to)

Speed Racer 05-14-2013 12:17 PM

Not enough information to make an informed opinion.

There's a reason your horse wears shoes, correct? How long had it been between farrier visits? Horses just don't go throwing the majority of their shoes if they've been kept on a proper trim/shoeing schedule.

barrelracer516 05-14-2013 10:14 PM

He's a new horse so I don't have those answers. I just wanted some opinions, that's all. The farrier is coming Friday, thanks though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2013 10:41 PM

Call the vet would be my advice

EthanQ 05-15-2013 05:38 PM

What ever became of this issue?

barrelracer516 06-10-2013 06:26 PM

So I have an update.

The farrier came and we told him everything that was going on and he trimmed him and checked him for abbesses but nothing. He suggested that we didn't put shoes back on him because it has been raining a lot and the mud around here is thick gumbo so it just sucks the shoes right off, so we agreed and didn't shoe him and he recommended that we took him to the vet. Called the vet that day (a Wednesday) and he scheduled us to come in that Friday.

At the vet I had to trot down and back a few times to show him how he was limping and all, but it was gravel. So of course it made him even more sore. Poor boy. The vet checked for abscesses like the farrier did. He didn't x-ray or really much of anything, which I wasn't really happy about. But he's the vet right.. He said he was sore in both of his hind hocks and told us to get him shod again. He told us to keep him on stall rest for a week and sent us home with some bute and then call him in a week to let him know how he is doing. We contacted the farrier again that day and scheduled him to come out that Monday.

The farrier came out and shod him and he did good. He wasn't limping as bad, just a little bit, at the end of the week but his left hind leg swelled up. Ugh, if it's not one thing, it sure is another. My dad called the vet like he asked us to, and we were gonna tell him that he was still limping and now swollen. The vet didn't answer, my dad left a message and still today, (Monday, 3 days later) still hasn't called back. My dad is supposed to be calling again in the morning. I've been cold hosing his swollen leg twice a day, about 15-30mins at a time since I found him swollen up. It hasn't went down much. Ive tried icing it a couple of times also but I don't really have a good method to ice. So cold hosing is what I have been doing, and just been patiently waiting to hear from the vet.

I just want Kyler to stop limping and feel better so we can actually run barrels this summer. Kyler is my only finished running horse at the moment so thankfully my very generous friend has let me borrow a horse of hers to run. This horse isn't as good as Kyler but hey, at least I'm getting to run.

Hopefully he isn't seriously hurt and can recover quickly. I don't know what I would do if I'm told he won't be able to run again.. I don't even know why I'm thinking like that.. I'm trying to think positive and hoping for the best.

So anyways, I'll update again when we hear and see the vet again..

beau159 06-11-2013 11:58 AM

I would be finding a new vet.

Find someone who is a LAMENESS specialist and used to dealing with complex issues, who can do things like nerve blocks to try to isolate what is going on.

waresbear 06-11-2013 12:08 PM

You might have to locate a large animal hospital that specializes in equine lameness. I live in remote region of Canada and I found several within 2 to 3 hours from me. In fact, I don't bother with local vets for anything but coggins and minor emergencies. It's really a waste of money IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 06-11-2013 08:27 PM

Find a lameness specialist.

If the cold hosing isn't doing anything then you need to find a different regime that does.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0