The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   What are you afraid of? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/what-you-afraid-192754/)

Chessie 05-14-2013 12:04 AM

What are you afraid of?

As a new horse owner, what are some of your fears? How can we best be prepared to face them?

As a new horse owner, honestly I'm afraid sometimes that I'm not up to the task. I know there will be times that are heartbreaking and scary, and frustrating, and that great yawning unknown makes me worried that somehow it will all be too much for me. I don't believe it will. I don't think there is anything I can't handle so long as I have the right resources to help and I'm the one in control of gathering my resources.

I'm afraid of being an idiot. I don't really much care if people THINK I'm an idiot, so long as I don't do something when I should have known better. I know I'm going to have to manage my patience at all times and not jump the gun and ask for help when I need it.

I'm afraid of ticks. They squick me out.

I'm afraid that the powerful and brave person inside of me who is confident in what she is doing won't fully materialize and I'll always feel like I'm faking my way.

I'm afraid "horse people" won't give me the time of day because they don't like my type of horse or my style of riding.

I'm afraid of being judged all the time.

I'm afraid of becoming judgmental as I learn more and trust myself more, just to boost my ego and make me feel like I'm higher up on the proverbial ladder.

So, how will I fight these fears?

I will gain as much knowledge as I can from any and all sources I have available to me. I'll remember that nothing I intend to do is impossible. I'll remember consistency is key.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the ticks.

But most of all, I want to be open, honest, and kind to those around me and hope that that kindness is returned no matter what level I'm on.

So, what are your fears?

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2013 12:10 AM

Spooking the horse I'm riding by not having a quiet seat (aka slamming down on their backs)

Being taken off with.. but now I'm less afraid since my seat has improved.

Jumping... it's kind of terrifying but fun.

Chessie 05-14-2013 12:11 AM

I have no intention of purposefully jumping anything, so you're braver than I am.

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2013 12:12 AM

I've only had one lesson and it was very fun :) but terrifying....

Bagheera 05-14-2013 12:12 AM

Spiders. I am deathly afraid of spiders. Also, getting seriously injured, again. I've had way too many trips to the hospital and am not enjoying having arthritis at 25. Similar to what you said though, all you can do is hope for the best. As long as you have good intentions, try your best, and keep an open mind, things will work out in the long run. Or so we hope. Lol ;)

Chessie 05-14-2013 12:13 AM

Yeah, I figure, but that still doesn't help me with the ticks. Man I hate those little buggers. I'll take a spider any day.

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2013 12:15 AM

I've owned my horse for 3 years.. and I still worry about doing him wrong. I certainly do not know everything.. I've never dealt with lameness (or if I have it someone else's horse and I felt that wasn't a good way to deal with it..) but honestly if you're willing to go to lengths to make sure you are giving your horse the best shot at everything.. the best chance to heal or learn, etc. then you're golden!

Ticks are creepy.. and spiders too. Love when I found a freaking black widow on a saddle I had JUST been holding and cleaning. So terrifying.. I could have been bitten and probably gotten sick to my stomach.

Just grit your teeth and deal with it. Ticks aren't good, especially on your horse or yourself!

Bagheera 05-14-2013 12:16 AM

Find a good tick repellant? I have no idea if they make tick repellant, but I would definitely invest in some if they do. I hate ticks too. Spiders scare the bejeesus out of me though. They are just creepy. Lol

Edit: Holy crap Sky! I would have peed my pants, cried, and passed out if I saw a Black Widow. O_o

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagheera (Post 2506210)
Edit: Holy crap Sky! I would have peed my pants, cried, and passed out if I saw a Black Widow. O_o

Yeah I screamed and set my saddle down lovingly and then ran away and washed myself with the hose. Then sprayed the crap out of the saddle to get them away. I'm not sure why I reacted this way, but hey... I'm still alive! Hahaha... :lol: :shock:

Chessie 05-14-2013 12:23 AM

Black widows are nothing to mess around with. They'll mess you up. I'm still in the habit of kicking wood from a pile before I pick it up. I suppose I'll have to refrain from kicking saddles. Just remind me to keep my leather gloves in the car, not the barn!