The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Problems with BOSS? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/problems-boss-192786/)

BoldComic 05-13-2013 11:27 PM

Problems with BOSS?

Has anyone had negative experiences with BOSS? Horses "stocking up" or having symptoms of founder? I've heard 90% good about BOSS and about 10% bad. My horse got a pretty aggressive trim and is still sore 5 days later. Actually he didn't seem sore for the first 2 days. Anyway... just wondering if his feet have become tender from the trim or if the BOSS could contribute to the problem. I just started him on it 9 days ago.

sparks879 05-13-2013 11:35 PM

The only negative I know of is its an infamatory, I wouldnt feed it to an elderly horse with arthritis. Though I have seen people feed it to elderly horses along with flax seed which is an anti infamatory. I feed my horses on cup of BOSS and on cup of flax everyday along with her hay pellets. Other then this she doesnt get any other grain. Just a good quality hay and pasture, and she looks awesome.

BoldComic 05-13-2013 11:56 PM

He's 13 but doesn't have arthritis that I'm aware of. I'm wondering if I should continue with the BOSS or quit for a week or so and see if that affects him. Is it the high Omega 6 that makes it an inflammatory?

Skyseternalangel 05-14-2013 12:44 AM

Nope.. my horse had it along with chia seeds. He loved that, but then we swapped him to a grain when we moved as I couldn't drive to a feed store and the barn offered the grain (which I thoroughly researched)

PaintHorseMares 05-14-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoldComic (Post 2506338)
My horse got a pretty aggressive trim and is still sore 5 days later. Actually he didn't seem sore for the first 2 days.

I wouldn't worry about the BOSS, but I would keep him off hard/rocky ground and keep his feet as dry as possible for a couple weeks. With a too short trim and soreness he'll be susceptible to bruising.

walkinthewalk 05-14-2013 08:03 AM

I am no fan of BOSS due to the high Omega-6 which is, indeed, an inflammatory.

The only way you will know is to take him off BOSS and keep him off for awhile.

He could be sore from any number of things, including riding in rough terrain, the trim or spring grass.

If he's foot sore from spring grass, he's having laminitic issues and yes that good old bird seed would definitely aggravate that:-)

BigGreyHorse 05-14-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinthewalk (Post 2508762)
I am no fan of BOSS due to the high Omega-6 which is, indeed, an inflammatory.

This. Omega-3 is anti-inflammatory and is the primary fat found in Flax seed or Chia seed.