The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Without Question - Phantom (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/without-question-phantom-192962/)

Phantomcolt18 05-14-2013 11:32 AM

Without Question - Phantom

It's been well over a year since I've had to retire Phantom and I'm still not over it. I don't know if I ever will be.

He was retired because he's got arthritis in both hocks and back fetlocks and is developing ringbone in the back left. I can ride him at a walk or SLOW trot but only bareback as I don't have a saddle that would fit him anymore due to his sway back(Plus I wouldn't want to add the extra weight anyway.) His arthritis is being managed BEAUTIFULLY by pure MSM. BIG difference in him when I put him on it! He started running around acting like a young'un again haha. I highly recommend.

I hate that he's aging and unfortunately I know that's something I can't change. He's happy to be a pasture puff who gets near-daily grooming. I am happy he's happy, I just can't help but feel a bit sad as well. He's my heart horse and everything I do is to make sure he's got the best retirement ever! In other words, he's SPOILED hahaha.

The clips in the vid are from over the last 3 years or so.

I love him, without question.

Corporal 05-14-2013 11:54 AM

Good horses deserve but don't always get a quiet retirement. You are very kind to keep him.

tinyliny 05-14-2013 12:05 PM

he is such a lovely Gentleman.

Phantomcolt18 05-14-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 2510594)
Good horses deserve but don't always get a quiet retirement. You are very kind to keep him.

I wouldn't have it any other way. When I first got him he had been abused and I promised him he would be with me till the day he dies. I've never broken a promise to him yet. (I know he doesn't understand the concept of promises, but they hold a lot with me)

He's always been there for me(got me through the worst couple years of my life) so it's only right/natural that I be there for him when he needs me. Someone once asked me after I got my third horse what would happen if I couldn't afford them all. I told them the other two would go before Phantom. They were shocked that I would sell my young able barrel horses to keep my retiree. A promise is a promise no matter what.

He stays with me forever. :D

I don't think the fact that I had to retire him is what upsets me, I think it's that I have to now accept he's aging(he's between 26-28 according to the vet.) I always said the only thing I would change about him is his age. I wouldn't make him faster, better trained, or a better turner, I would just make him younger so he could be with me longer.