The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Riding Stretches? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/riding-stretches-193026/)

Hailey1203 05-14-2013 01:02 PM

Riding Stretches?

Hey guys!

Do any of you stretch regularly to improve your riding? Or even right before you ride so that you don't get sore?

I'm getting back into English riding after a looong hiatus, and i wanna be the best i can be, and all that.

What stretches do you do, and why?

Corporal 05-14-2013 01:26 PM

I do mostly dance stretches. Even though riding contracts your inside thigh muscles, mounting and riding improves if you remain flexible. I suggest straddling the floor, butterfly stretches, standing arm reaches over to the other body side and arms out and torso twists. Don't forget to stand on the steps and sink your heels down before your ride, too.

Hailey1203 05-14-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 2511538)
I do mostly dance stretches. Even though riding contracts your inside thigh muscles, mounting and riding improves if you remain flexible. I suggest straddling the floor, butterfly stretches, standing arm reaches over to the other body side and arms out and torso twists. Don't forget to stand on the steps and sink your heels down before your ride, too.

What are butterfly stretches?

Im all about standing on the stairs with my heels down!! Drives my family crazy cause ill randomly stop halfway up the stairs and drop my heels

Corporal 05-14-2013 01:34 PM

A Butterfly Stretch is where you sit on the floor with your knees bent and soles of your feet together. You can stretch your hands forward, flattening your back and stretch and/or press down on your knees.

Hailey1203 05-14-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 2511610)
A Butterfly Stretch is where you sit on the floor with your knees bent and soles of your feet together. You can stretch your hands forward, flattening your back and stretch and/or press down on your knees.

Ohhh ok. And im guess that stretches out your inner thighs?

Corporal 05-14-2013 01:51 PM

Yep. This will help, too.
Equibarre with Angelea Kelly Walkup: horsebooksetc