The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Fit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-fit-193042/)

xxdanioo 05-14-2013 02:16 PM

Saddle Fit

I have a Circle Y Equitation saddle I have been using on Walter. I have never rode him into a hard sweat, so I haven't really examinded his back after a long ride.

Well last night my cousin rode, it was hot and humid, and he had a good workout. He was pretty soaked with sweat after his ride. Took the saddle off, and there were two completely dry spots on each side above? the shoulders, and along the whither.

Does this indicate the saddle is pinching/too tight? I have a halfpad with shoulder inserts kicking around, would this be acceptable to help with lifting it off a tad, until I can afford a new saddle? I only ride 2, maybe 3 times a week, if that. He is mostly on rest right now due to knee/leg problems, but light riding has been approved to help stretch his tendons.

How do I determine what saddle size he needs?

Thank you for any input.

aforred 05-14-2013 02:47 PM

If the saddle is too tight, adding padding will compound the problem. Do you have pictures of him wearing nothing but the saddle? From the side and from the front.

xxdanioo 05-14-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 2511706)
If the saddle is too tight, adding padding will compound the problem. Do you have pictures of him wearing nothing but the saddle? From the side and from the front.

No, I don't. I will get some this week with both saddles. I have a show saddle as well. Maybe I should do that with my english saddle also, maybe I will have to switch to that for a while... I will update with pictures this week!

Saddlebag 05-14-2013 06:10 PM

It can also be caused by the rider pushing into the cantle, ie more weight at the back than the front.

Casey02 05-14-2013 07:39 PM

I believe it means the saddle is too loose

TackJack 05-22-2013 05:43 PM

Dry spots are from a pressure point.

It could be from a saddle that's too narrow, too wide, or from a saddle that bridges (usually one of these three).

I'm assuming from what you've said that the saddle is the Circle Y medium tree and your horse needs a Circle Y wide tree.

I don't think riding once or twice a week (light riding) is going to hurt the horse that much other than soreness and some swelling, but soon you're going to want to get a better fitting saddle.

Padding up, if the saddle is too narrow, usually doesn't help.

xxdanioo 05-22-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TackJack (Post 2590329)
Dry spots are from a pressure point.

It could be from a saddle that's too narrow, too wide, or from a saddle that bridges (usually one of these three).

I'm assuming from what you've said that the saddle is the Circle Y medium tree and your horse needs a Circle Y wide tree.

I don't think riding once or twice a week (light riding) is going to hurt the horse that much other than soreness and some swelling, but soon you're going to want to get a better fitting saddle.

Padding up, if the saddle is too narrow, usually doesn't help.

Thanks for the info.

I've totally slacked and haven't taken pictures of the saddles on him yet. hehe. I haven't ridden either, if that's worth anything. I'm wondering if it's from having TOO MUCH pad under it? I have a normally good thickness pad, and I was trying out a show saddle blanket over it, so that would have thickened things up. Hmm. Either way, I'll get pictures THIS week, I SWEAR!!

He is 3, I wouldn't have expected him to be wide. How do I measure my saddles? I have two Circle Y's, a Stubben, and some random jumping saddle.