The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Farriers!! (bit of a rant) (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/farriers-bit-rant-193122/)

greentree 05-14-2013 04:53 PM

Farriers!! (bit of a rant)

I was SO proud to have a new farrier who put me on a six week schedule, and actually showed up at that time. And the driveway is done, and the barn is done, so the weather does NOT matter.......He has been here 3 times, plus coming over off schedule to pull shoes and trim after a thrown shoe. The first time, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, because you would not want to cut a new clients horses so short that they were lame, he doesn't know my horses, etc. I think he did 6 out of 14. Came back to do the rest a few weeks later. Still a bit long, but no major issues with balance, but a couple I had questions about hind feet being done(at all). I tried discussing what I liked, and felt like I was telling him how to do his job.

Meanwhile, our friend's layed-off welder DH looks at some of the feet, and trims them, he and I discuss what I like to see, and he does it. Says he has no formal training, but did work with a guy a couple of years who taught him a lot. He will gladly take on my horses, but due to back/neck/shoulder injuries, he can only do a few in a day. He was here yesterday, after the farrier had been here on Friday, and we re-trimmed 4 sets of back feet, and 1 set of fronts. The hinds looked like they had NOT been touched.

I am so disgusted. I don't know if I can handled stringing them out over a week, and when he goes back to work......

OK< sorry, LOT of a rant!!!

Nancy

spirit88 05-14-2013 05:06 PM

Oh I so feel your frustration been there done that now iam trimming my own. I won't have another farrier out again.

Been through 6 not one was any good they'd leave and horses feet didn't looked like they'd been trimmed. I only have 3 horses so not a huge deal for me to do wouldn't want more then 3.

doesn't matter what you tell theses guys they don't listen and don't want to see the problems or they don't have a clue.

Missy May 05-15-2013 02:34 AM

I decided to have a farrier do my filly's feet one more time (I had one trim her when I first got her). This presents a problem, b/c the mere though of someone else doing them makes me uptight. I do my own, but she came w no training and has since gotten to where she stands for her fronts at liberty pretty darn well and I trim them often, but w/o help holding her, doing her hinds is still a work in progress and slow going (I am not sure how one can mess up holding a horse, but DH manages). I just want them done to "buy time" to get her to stand as well for the hinds as she now does for the fronts. Even w the name of a well respected farrier in hand, I cringe....ya just never know, and I have been through a "few".

And spirit, I just have 2...I wouldn't want to have to do 3. :) I am lazy...it wears me out!

spirit88 05-15-2013 10:51 AM

missy may I wish i only had two it about kills me to do them.I do fronts on all three one day then do backs the next.

Iam still hurting from last trimming I did would be nice to have a good farrier but ain't gonna happen.

BlueSpark 05-15-2013 11:17 AM

this makes me thankful for my farrier, who is amazing. Before you do anything else, I would call up the farrier and explain your problems, and goals with your horses feet. see what he says.

I can trim, but it kills me, and in the summer I need shoes, so farrier it is.

mls 05-15-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 2520490)
this makes me thankful for my farrier, who is amazing. Before you do anything else, I would call up the farrier and explain your problems, and goals with your horses feet. see what he says.

Communication is the key to solving a lot of issues.

spirit88 05-15-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 2520498)
Communication is the key to solving a lot of issues.

If the farrier lacks the skills to do a proper trim communication isn't gonna help. Been there done that 6 times.

Iv communicated with theses farrier still same end result poor work under run heels long toes and other issues.

Its not just communication the farrier needs to be skilled in his profession sorry iv been there done this to many times. Communication got me no where with these farriers.

Dustbunny 05-15-2013 12:04 PM

Reading these posts makes me thankful for our farrier. We have a problem horse. We needed to find one with the knowledge to trim him properly and our's came recommended by our vet. We are a drive for him so we pay him extra...We'd be lost without him.

~*~anebel~*~ 05-15-2013 12:06 PM

Have you tried calling a local vet clinic for a farrier recommendation?

My farrier is excellent and works closely with many of the local vet clinics on problem horses, difficult cases and rehab work. He also works closely with my vet who I know would recommend him if any of his clients asked.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 05-15-2013 12:11 PM

I totally feel you. My BO prefers one farrier, and thinks he's the best in the world. I really don't care for his work at all. It was really frustrating, at first when she wasn't mine, to have her feet in not so awesome shape. Even when I would point out what I didn't like about her feet, he wouldn't do anything differently.

Even now, I can tell that it really ticks off my BO when I use a different farrier. I feel bad upsetting her, she's a wonderful person and I've known her my whole life, but I have to do what's best for my horse.