The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Sport Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/)
-   -   How to register as a sporthorse? (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/how-register-sporthorse-193130/)

Cweaver 05-14-2013 04:53 PM

How to register as a sporthorse?

My mother and I have been interested in breeding her paint mare to a Fresian stud for a 2014 foal (we are not just making babies to have a baby around, this is going to be my dressage horse that I don't plan on selling). We have met the stallion and absolutely fell head over heels for his conformation and his tempermant. I know of a FresianxArab gelding that was registered as a SportHorse. If we breed her mare to this stud, how would and could we register the baby as a SportHorse? Thanks for reading and for help in advance!

kenda 05-14-2013 05:00 PM

If this Friesian stud your looking at is registered with FHANA, keep in mind that he'll lose his registration if he is bred to anything but a registered Friesian mare, so don't get your heart set on this stud unless you know that the owner is aware of this.

As far as registration with a sport horse association, choose one and then look up their registration process. It should include an inspection.

I personally don't like Friesians for dressage, and I think you'd be taking a pretty big risk breeding such disparate types of horse together, but its your choice and I wish you well with it.

Cweaver 05-14-2013 05:04 PM

My heart isn't set, Im trying to find everything out that I can before we get too excited. I know that he is registered, is there only one association with Fresians?

kenda 05-15-2013 03:36 PM

FHANA is Freisian Horse Association of North America.

There is also a Canadian Friesian registry, an international registry, a Friesian Sport Horse registry and no doubt a bevy of other small ones. I don't know which ones have registrations that are worth more then the paper they're printed on as I'm not a Friesian person. Might do well to see if you can find a Friesian dedicated forum, or other knowledgeable people into Friesian's to tell you which registries are actually well respected.

jaydee 05-15-2013 05:26 PM

Don't fall in love with that stallion because its handsome and impressive and try to imagine the mix of the two because I think you're unlikely to get the dressage horse you want out of that cross. There's a chance you'll end up with a plain quite stocky horse that lacks the long flowing stride for dressage
If you want to breed for that sport then look at some Dutch Warmbloods or similar, the results will be more predictable because you have to consider what you'll do with the resulting horse if it isn't what you wanted it to be

WildAcreFarms 05-17-2013 04:11 PM

I would look for a WB stallion that is not only bred for dressage but that is producing dressage babies. KWPN on their site does a overall impression of every stallions babies and they will tell you what you can expect and what things this stallion is passing on to most of his babies.
they evaluate them for self carriage W/T/C conformation for dressage presence and several other things.
check it out :) and good luck.

Golden Horse 05-17-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cweaver (Post 2512946)
My mother and I have been interested in breeding her paint mare to a Fresian stud for a 2014 foal (we are not just making babies to have a baby around, this is going to be my dressage horse that I don't plan on selling).

I so understand that, I really really do, I have a really nice mare here that I keep thinking "Maybe if I bred Wills to a really nice Warmblood I could grow my own dressage horse"

Then I start researching the studs I would like, and I see the stud price, figure in the mare care, and remind myself of how many people I've read about who have lost foals this year, and I chicken out.

As I say, I really really understand what you are thinking, just remember that you have a lot of odds to overcome:

Your mare has to be fertile and able to carry to term.

You have to find the right stud, either close by, or you need a vet close by who is skilled in AI.

You have to have the patience to wait until she catches, could be first time or she may never catch.

Then you have the nerve racking wait, and if mum and baby survive the pregnancy and birth, you could be looking at the foal going yeah, cute fluffy foal, and I will love him to bits, but mmmmm not seeing a dressage horse. Hehehe seems like people can't win I know, say you just want a foal for a trail companion, people say don't breed, you want to breed a dressage horse, people also say don't breed.

I don't know what your mare looks like, or how she moves, so it is difficult to advice what is the best cross for her to help your odds of getting what you want, but I totally agree with the others, the Fresian is not the place to start looking.

Warmblood, possibly an Andi, depending on your mare would be better odds for a dressage horse I would think

Free Flyer 05-18-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cweaver (Post 2512946)
My mother and I have been interested in breeding her paint mare to a Fresian stud for a 2014 foal (we are not just making babies to have a baby around, this is going to be my dressage horse that I don't plan on selling). We have met the stallion and absolutely fell head over heels for his conformation and his tempermant. I know of a FresianxArab gelding that was registered as a SportHorse. If we breed her mare to this stud, how would and could we register the baby as a SportHorse? Thanks for reading and for help in advance!

This is probably the worst way to develop a dressage horse or even a sport horse.

You have said nothing about the breeding of your mare or how she moves ( a video would be helpful). There is no guarantees that any of the good parts of your mare or this stallion will be passed to the foal. Some is likely to but there are no guarantees, especially when ( I am guessing) that you don't have a show record to prove it or a pedigree that may also prove it.

You are better to save a little and look for a long yearling or 2 year old as some natural talent should be visible and you should be able to see and research it parents. I may already be registered or registrable also. At this age it is possible to get a decent horse a bit cheaper ( being unbroke) and you will have time to socialize it to you.